Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Flood Update: Part 11

~Monday (February 14)~

I feel absolutely miserable. I went to bed feeling sick last night, ran the vaporizer, and took Ibuprofen, but I still feel awful. My head is spinning, my nose is plugged, and my ears hurt every time I swallow.

After getting dressed and making my bed, I go downstairs and work on a blog post for today. We then enjoy breakfast on our kitchen floor. We each received Valentines from each other and a Reese’s heart candy (the ONLY candy we received that day, lest you think we’re being unhealthy!) Mom gives us the news that my Dad received a bonus at work! The Lord has provided exactly what we need at exactly the right time! What a mighty God we serve! When we trust Him with our finances, He will provide what is needed.

Today is Mikey’s 1st birthday, so we gave him some ham to celebrate and sang “Happy Birthday” to him. We also gave him some new tennis balls (he has a tendency to lose or break them in a short amount of time.) He enjoys both very much. J


Isn’t he the cutest thing ever? Look at that puppy face!

Since I’m not feeling good, I’ve been having a hard time focusing, especially on reading. But I did my devotions and some computer work in the morning.

Around 12:30 p.m., we call Miss B to find out when the workers will be here (they had said they would arrive around noon.) She says they are just leaving and should be there around 2:00 p.m. Our dear friends the R’s come by and bring us a whole dinner for this evening! We were SO grateful as we can’t cook in our kitchen right now due to lack of appliances. Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts! You truly made our day!

Mom and I are on our way to the doctor’s office around 2:30 p.m., when Mr. A and Mr. L show up to work. We say hello as we fly out the door. I find out at the doctor’s that I have an upper respiratory infection going on. :-P Not fun at all. We run by Walmart to pick up my prescription and a few groceries.

We arrive home around 4:15 p.m. to find everyone hard at work including the 2 plumbers that showed up while we were gone. They took out the kitchen sink, put the new cabinet in, reset the dishwasher and refrigerator, and put the sink back.


All of the workers trying to fit the cabinet in without damaging the counter tops: not an easy task!

Mr. A and Mr. L work on putting baseboards back in for several hours. Ben and I were standing off to the side watching all of the work when Mr. A says, “I love you guys because you stay out of the way!”

They leave at 7:00 p.m., planning to be back early tomorrow morning. We were warming up dinner before they left and Mr. A said, “L, we’d better get out of here. The smell is killing me!” J We sit down to our delicious (and great- smelling!) dinner. Afterward we open our Valentines Day gifts. Mom and Dad gave us a Selah CD, a movie called “The Cross and the Towers,” another movie called “WWJD?” that’s based off the book “In His Steps” by Charles Monroe Sheldon, 2 Berenstain Bear books (for Josiah), and a Spirograph kit. Thank you both so much!

~Tuesday (February 15)~

I wake up at 6:45 a.m. I had a rough time breathing last night. I was so tired and fell asleep quickly. But at 10:45 p.m., I woke up and found my vaporizer off (that means Mom had already gone to bed.) I couldn’t breathe. My nose was stuffed up and I had something stuck in my throat. It is always scary when that happens. Hopefully, these meds will get rid of whatever infection I have going on.

Today is moving day…again. At 8:30 a.m., Mom leaves to take the pets to the kennel, taking Ben and Roma with her. I get breakfast ready for Rubia, Josiah, and I.

By 9:15 a.m., Mr. A and Mr. C have arrived to work. Mr. A starts prepping the floors for sanding while Mr. C finishes putting up baseboards and the toe kick on our kitchen cabinets. He also cleans out the new cabinet under our sink. Mom comes back home and loads up the car to make a trip to the hotel. Since we didn’t have two cars this time, it took two trips to get everything over there. While she was gone, Mr. A started sanding the floors. He thinks that it will be a lot smoother once he’s finished with this additional coating of polyurethane. I hope it will be smoother too!

We finally leave by 12:30 p.m. for the second time and arrive at the hotel. After unpacking we do some school work. I’m not able to do much since I’ve already lost half of the day and I can’t think straight!

We’re already becoming the “high maintenance” hotel residents. One of our light bulbs is burned out, and then our smoke detector goes off. So we have to call the desk and ask them to send someone. A gentleman arrives to fix the smoke alarm. As he’s working, we were milling about, and he joked, “Every time I turn around there’s another person!” I guess he wasn’t expecting 6 people to be in the same room!

I spent some time reading in the afternoon and then got ready for worship dance around 4:30 p.m. I had some trouble breathing during dance as well. We are doing a Celtic song that is rather fast, and I forgot my water bottle, so my throat was SO dry and sore.

After class, we arrive back at the hotel around 6:30 p.m. and go to the lobby to have dinner. They were having spaghetti with garlic toast and salad. It was pretty good, but nothing beats my Mom’s homemade spaghetti! I think it’s the Italian blood in her.

We saw our friend Miss L again. We met her the first day we were at the hotel last time. She had a very well-behaved dog with her, and we started chatting. We found out that her family was staying there because their washing machine had flooded and ruined their kitchen flooring. But their flood happened back in October. The restoration company had tried to dry the floor out for weeks which is why it has taken them so long to get to the flooring. Anyway, she asked if we homeschooled since all of us kids were with Mom at 10:00 a.m. We said yes and she asked if we knew the H family. We said yes, we take dance lessons from her. Apparently, Miss L’s husband works with Mr. H as an ER doctor at a local hospital! Isn’t that amazing?

She had seen us leaving on Saturday and said she was so jealous that we were able to go home. We said that we might have to come back, but I guess she didn’t believe us. When she saw us in the lobby again tonight, she said “Oh hello!” and then her jaw dropped and she said, “What are you doing back here?!” We explained that the floors hadn’t been done right so we had to stay here again. She was so sympathetic. We also got to meet her husband. They seem like a nice family.

At 7:15 p.m., we went back to our room to watch the Duggars and have dessert. We have enjoyed being able to watch their newer shows. We will miss that when we go home (we don’t get cable TV.)

We all took showers and went to bed. Since Dad was out of town, I got to share the queen bed with Mommy. It was a lot nicer than the floor! I also got to stay up late reading since she was still showering and working.

Around 10:45 p.m., we received a call from Daddy! He’s doing well and enjoying the lovely weather down in Mexico, but he misses us!

We finally go to bed at 11:00 p.m.!

. . . To be continued. . .

2 comments:

Amy said...

Did your Dad tell you that he and my Dad were on the same flight coming home? My Dad had been in Atlanta for the week.

7 Eagles said...

Wow, Amy! That is so neat! I think there is going to be a blog post about all of the "coincidences" we've had over the past two months. Despite the difficult flood situation, we have found more connections than I can remember! The Lord certainly crosses people's paths on purpose!

~Bianca