Monday, September 29, 2014

My "Jonah Day"

 
 
~ Posted by Ben
 
I don’t normally believe in using social media for ranting. But I’ve decided to document a not-so-happy day I experienced recently in hopes that through it, I may encourage and provide comic relief to those of you who may experiencing a “Jonah day” today! J
 
This story has a background that includes a college conference; potential food poisoning thereof; an Eagle Scout project proposal; a deadline, and a nasty habit of procrastination on my part. This story then has a main plot that includes missed deadlines, chasing people around town for signatures, waiting for phone calls that never came, transportation issues, stress-related health issues (we won’t go into details :/), red ants, forgetfulness, and getting lost. And the end….well, let me walk ya through. J
 
CPE3
 
Bianca participates in an online college program known as “College Plus.” College Plus, or “CP,” is a Christian collegiate organization that works in partnership with several colleges and universities, to provide a fully accredited Bachelor’s degree for half the cost, in half the time, and with twice the flexibility. Bianca has been working towards a BA in International Studies with this program since January. I’m planning on enrolling in College Plus as well, so recently Bianca and I decided to attend “CPE3,” a large, week-long event hosted by CP in San Antonio. We had an EXCELLENT week! I enjoyed myself immensely, but knew that when I got back, I would have to work hard on finishing my Eagle Scout Project proposal that was due several days after I returned.
 
Eagle Project proposal
 
After I returned from CPE3, I got right to work on my Eagle Project proposal. I finished it, but somehow missed seeing that I needed some very important signatures before submitting my proposal (face palm). Naturally, I discovered this Monday night…and I needed 3 signatures by the next night. L
 
“BEN JUDAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! GET OUT OF BED!” This was my Tuesday morning wake-up call. Somehow I overslept my alarm, it was 9 o’clock, and I had a deadline!! I leaped up and began discussing strategy with my mom. After a quick grooming and breakfast, my sister drove me all the way to church (about 25 minutes away) to obtain my first signature (the church is the beneficiary of the project). Here’s where the fun began. Our Lead Pastor could not sign it without first reviewing and understanding the project proposal, and getting consensus from the staff.
 
So we left the proposal, promising to return later that afternoon, and Bianca and I ran over to DPS to sign me up for a driving license test (that’s a story for another time) and then we went home. I was actually able to do some school work before dashing back to church to pick up my project binder, and then heading to the BSA Court of Honor that evening that I, as Senior Patrol Leader, had to preside over.
 
This is one part of the story that is actually quite happy. That evening would be my last Court of Honor as SPL, as my 6-month term was ending. At this Court of Honor, I was presented with 4 merit badges, an SPL award, and an Honor Camper award for the year. I also received many compliments from parents on my leadership over the last 6 months. I was truly humbled by their recognition.
 
However, after the Court of Honor I was informed by my project coach that there was a whole other packet of paperwork I needed to do. Thankfully, he was able to obtain a 24-hour deadline extension from the District Advancement Coordinator. I was also able to get 2 of the 3 signatures I needed for the proposal, at the Court of Honor. But I had a lot of work ahead of me…
 
Early the next morning, Mom drove me back to church, where I dropped the proposal off AGAIN (they didn’t have sufficient time to look over it on Tuesday), and then came home and plowed away at the extra paperwork given to me by my project coach. I was able to finish it shortly before heading BACK to church with my siblings for youth group that evening.
 
This is where the story really gets crazy. I get to church, and it turns out my proposal isn’t there. It’s with one of the associate pastors who went into town. Our Lead pastor rushes out to find him, gets the binder, and comes back. We then have a long discussion that results in some major changes of plans for the landscaping I am proposing to do. Drawings are changed; a landscape extraordinaire is consulted; and I get the final signature I need.
 
So I’m standing outside, talking with a guy who did a project there earlier this year, about the location of the sprinkler systems in the area where I will be working. In my mind, I’m thinking, “What a lousy 2 days I’ve had! This is the hardest signature I’ve ever tried to get. How could things get any WOOOOORRRSSSEE--AAAAAGGGGHHH!!!!!” Sudden pain shoots up my legs. I look down, and I am standing on a massive red ant hill.! I broke into what from a distance, probably looked like a white boy’s lousy attempt at break-dancing, as I furiously swatted at my legs, knocking dozens of red ants to the ground.
 
In the midst of this, my sister comes out of the church, ready to drive me to the house where I would be dropping off the proposal documents. I’m pretty sure she was trying not to laugh at my predicament…but she was also in a hurry since she’s supposed to be upstairs to help with youth group in 15 minutes. We drive, and are literally turning onto the street where the district advancement coordinator lives, when I groaned and grabbed my already-throbbing head. I realized that I forgot to add the extra paperwork I had completed that day to my binder.
 
Bianca turns around and heads all the way back to the church, while I resist the urge to slam my noggin on the dashboard. Through all of this, I am continually slapping at my legs to kill yet another red ant (they stick with you for a while). My stomach was churning, as I’d been suffering from a bit of, *ahem,* discomfort the last couple of days (not going to go into too much detail there, but there was an accidental food poisoning incident at the event Bianca and I attended. I had been feeling a bit iffy since returning, and it wasn’t being helped by all this stress.)
 
So we get back to church, where my sister needs to go help with junior high youth, so my Dad swings by from the office to take me back to the DAC’s house now that we have ALL the papers. As I’m walking up his driveway I’m thinking; “Walk slowly, don’t want to trip and die, because that would happen with the day I’ve been having!” But I successfully dropped off the completed documents. YEEESSS!
 
The rest of the evening went off quite normally…except for tripping over my sister’s ankle at bedtime and face-planting in our living room. But I finished the day with my objective met, and without serious injuries sustained. Needless to say, I showered very carefully that night so as not to wipe out and suffer a head concussion. Haha! J
 
At the end of the day, I’d learned some important lessons:
 
#1 Never procrastinate.
#2 Always take others’ schedules into consideration when working with people.
#3 Always plan for the worst so that you can deal with it when it happens!
 
I figure that as long as I’ve learned my lessons, I will be better prepared to meet life’s challenges ahead.
 
If you are currently suffering a “Jonah day,” I hope that this post and its ending provided at least some encouragement, if not some comic relief! May God, in His grace, bring you through whatever suffering you’re going through. Nothing in your life is capable of surprising Him. Keep up the fight!
 
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6-7)

10 comments:

Amy said...

Have you ever heard the story of my brother and his awful, terrible day?
Well, I'd better not put it online, but its worth hearing next visit.

7 Eagles said...

No, I haven't. Sounds like a humorous story! Which brother is it about?
Benjamin

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for sharing your terrible experience! I found it very encouraging, haha!
~Christin

Anonymous said...

Our Dear Ben,

We read about your Jonah day. The important thing is that you learned three valuable lessons.

All along, we have been praying for you and all your projects and goals as well as your future plans. In all things be thankful trusting that He will put different people in your life to help you carry the load.

We love, Benjamin Julian!

Betsy said...

Aaron has the best ever bad-day-turned-horrible-story.
Sounds like life was a bit hairy there for you. Glad you made. And just think, next time you will have a car to lock your keys in, run out of gas, and have warning lights flash on your dash. But you'll be better prepared!

7 Eagles said...

Glad I could be an encouragement, Christin! :)

7 Eagles said...

Thanks Bia and Bio! I'm glad to know that I have grandparents who pray for me!-Benjamin

7 Eagles said...

Haha! I definitely need to hear more about that story! And yes, I think I'll be more prepared for whatever comes my way in life. :)-Benjamin

Debbie said...

Oh Ben, I have always loved your sense of humor. The hardest lessons are always the ones with the greatest benefit in the long run.

Love and Hugs,
Aunt Debbie

7 Eagles said...

Haha, thanks Aunt Debbie!! And yes, that is very true. Something I keep trying to remind myself of during this project.--Ben