Wednesday, December 28, 2011

"Do Hard Things" Book Review


“Do Hard Things” by Alex and Brett Harris is by far the most challenging and convicting book I have ever read. I received it for Christmas in 2009 and finished reading it in 4 days. I read it again in January 2011 and plan to read it at the beginning of every year.

This book is a far cry from any other self-help teen book you’ve read or seen. Alex and Brett Harris believe that the teen years are being wasted and that the culture and the church are encouraging this kind of frivolous lifestyle for teenagers. They believe that teens can have a huge impact on the world if they will do hard things.

The book is broken into three sections: Rethinking the Teen Years, Five Kinds of Hard, and Join the Rebelution. The Rebelution is a movement started by the Harris brothers to rebel against low expectations for teenagers.

As usual, I came away with questions to ask myself after reading this book:

*Am I buying into the myth that it’s ok to waste time during my teen years?*

*Am I stooping down to the low cultural expectations around me?*

*Why should I do hard things?*

*What are “good” hard things that I should be doing and why?*

*What am I waiting for?*

All these questions and lots more are discussed in the book. It is a call to action for a generation that has bought into the myth of adolescence. This book is an excellent read for all ages because it challenges us to do great things to the glory of God. If I were to rate this book on a scale of 1 to 5, it would earn a 6! J

2 comments:

Betsy said...

"Expect great things from God, attempt great things for God."
-William Carrey

7 Eagles said...

I love his quote, Betsy! My Dad loves to read about William Carey, and this is one of his favorite quotes.

~Bianca