Friday, September 14, 2012

A Reading Family

I believe that my siblings and I were born with books in our hands. From the time we were very young, we have all LOVED books and reading.

 
No, Josiah didn’t start reading the Homeschool Detectives until this year, but as you can see, he had access to lots of books from the time he was little (proven by the crayon marks in several books, including my Audubon Bird book. Little stinker! J)
Every night before bed, Mom would read aloud books to my siblings and me. We have literally read hundreds of books over the years. We usually are maxed out on the number of books we can check-out of the library at one time (about 100 books.) Some of our favorite read-alouds were “Bickie’s Thunder-Egg,” “The Seven Secrets of Somewhere Lake,” “Story Time with the Millers,” and “A Hive of Busy Bees.”
Some of the very first books we read were Dick and Jane, and Dr. Seuss books.
Over the years, we’ve all developed our own tastes in books. As you can imagine, with seven people in the family, there is a wide range of interests! J

Here are some more posts about our love of books:
 
 
 
5 Things We Couldn’t Live Without (as you can imagine, books is one of them. J)
 
 
*What are some of your favorite books and authors? Have you always enjoyed reading? Are you a fiction or non-fiction reader? Please share in the comments!*
 

2 comments:

Amy said...

I didn't know you could max out your library card.

I love to read. Right now I am reading "The Mao Case" by Qiu Xiaolong. I picked it up from the Popular Reading section at SVSU.

I recently read "Running for My Life" by Lopez Lomong. You might like that story. It's about one of Sudan's lost boys who ran in the Olympics.

My favorite genre is stories. They can be true or fiction as long as they're stories. Also, at the moment I especially like reading stories from other cultures. It helps me to understand non-American thinking.

7 Eagles said...

Yes, it is possible to max out your library card, Amy! The books you recommended both look interesting. I may have to add them to my list!

I too enjoy stories, fiction and non-fiction. What I really love are true stories that are written to read like novels. I like stories that have a purpose and help me learn something valuable.

~Bianca