Thursday, July 7, 2011

Daddy's Book Shelf


My Daddy is an avid reader. He reads books on theology, creation science, apologetics, parenting, Bible commentaries, cars, trains, planes, famous pilots, missions, biographies on missionaries, church growth, and more. We recently bought a book shelf to go in Mom and Dad’s room so that he could have all of his books on theology upstairs and in one spot.

A closer view of his shelf on creation science, apologetics, and some parenting.
The full view of his shelf
Awhile back I posted about my book shelf and said I would post about my full reading list, which is basically this entire shelf! One thing I admire about my Dad is his love of learning and you can tell by the many books he reads. But one thing that sets my Dad apart from others is that he doesn’t spend time reading “fluff” or “light books.” He actually doesn’t like fiction, so his whole shelf is non-fiction books. One thing I struggle with is wanting to sit and eat up a fictional story while setting aside the books that will really help me learn something.

But because of Dad’s influence, and with his encouragement, I have begun to branch out a bit and have a taste to read more meaningful books that will help me grow spiritually, gain a better understanding of history and culture,  and learn more about Biblically-defined relationships.

There are so many titles from his shelf that I would love to read in the future! Some of them are “Chosen by God” by R.C. Sproul, “The Holiness of God” by R.C. Sproul, “Foxes Book of Martyrs,” “2020 Vision” by Bill and Amy Stearns, “Let the Nations Be Glad!” by John Piper, “Evangelical Feminism” by Wayne Grudem, “The Naked Communist” by W. Cleon Skousen, “Don’t Waste Your Life” by John Piper, and many more! I think I’ll be busy for many years down the road if I just read what’s currently on Daddy’s shelf!

What are some of the books on your father’s (or husband’s) reading list or book shelf? Maybe I can add a few more books to my list! J

2 comments:

Amy said...

Unlike your Dad, my Dad isn't a reader. He reads the Bible every morning and the newspaper in the evening (until our subscription ran out...). If he is going to read, like your Dad, he reads non-fiction.

7 Eagles said...

Between his job, farming, and other duties, I think I can understand why your Dad doesn't have a whole lot of time to read, Amy! But I do know that your house is full to the brim with good books to read, especially missions biographies!

~Bianca