Friday, November 15, 2013

Homeschool Blessings Part 1


~ posted by Rubia

There are many reasons why I’m so thankful for Homeschool. We now apparently live in the “Homeschool-friendly State” where we have had the privilege of seeing lots of other homeschoolers and hearing of other homeschool groups in our area. Maybe one of these days, Josiah will get into a group since he has not yet had that experience like his older siblings have. J

The very first reason why I’m thankful for homeschool is my parents! I’m thankful for their decision in the beginning. Back then, homeschooling wasn’t very popular. But they realized that it is not only very Biblical, but it also allowed them to spend more time with their kids, and be close to us. I also realize the importance of their decision more and more as I see and hear of all the issues in government schools today: God is ignored and pushed out, kids learn things that aren’t true, they learn inappropriate things at the wrong age, there’s much peer pressure, and so on. I see that here at home, I am protected just enough, learning things that will benefit me throughout all of life, and I don’t feel at all like I’m missing out!


While I have subjects that cover Bible, Math, Science, History, English, and Music, today I am going to talk about Bible.

I am thankful for all of the time I spend studying the Bible. It convicts me, and penetrates into my heart, teaching me how I need to grow and change, Through it, the Lord gives me peace that surpasses all understanding; as He teaches me about Himself and His saving Grace. I am still working on reading the Bible all the way through. I’m not ashamed of being slow, because I am catching things from each passage that I may have missed if I was going faster! Currently in the Old Testament, I am reading through Exodus, and in the N.T. the Book of Romans. At the same time, I read one of the Gospels every month or so. My favorite is John, because He touches more on the personal relationship between Jesus and believers. And though the O.T. is for most, harder to get through, it points to the New. And right now from Exodus, I have enjoyed learning about God’s mercy and grace to His people which were the same even then!


I also study with my family. On Mondays and Tuesdays, my Mom and siblings and I read together from Proverbs. It is one of my favorite books for the wisdom it teaches! On Wednesdays, we work on scripture memory. Thursdays, we work through a curriculum called “Bible Study Guide for All Ages.” Then on Sunday afternoon, our entire family reads together. We are using a curriculum/guide called “Balancing the Sword.” As this book guides us, we are now going through the book of Joshua. (at Josiah’s request! J)


An important part of my Bible studies is Scripture memorization. This I believe is very important because there are times in life when we especially need specific verses, depending on what we’re going through or who we’re talking to. Some special friends from MI have uniquely put together different kits of verses with a theme, and each verse has a tune to sing. This way it is easier to memorize them. Now I am going through an appropriate kit: verses about Thanksgiving. Thank you, Miss Wendy, Amy, and family for these kits with the pictures and tunes!


Okay, one more study to share with y’all! One of my favorite nights of the week is Tuesday night when Roma and I get to spend time with Mom learning about how to live as daughters of the King, pleasing Him and bringing Him glory. We recently finished a wonderful Christian Charm Course, with Emily Hunter, (focusing on our appearance, inwardly to outwardly.) Though sometimes some things about it seemed outdated, since it was written a long time ago, those kinds of lessons are timeless.

Now we’ve started a book that I’m excited about: “Before you meet Prince Charming” by Sarah Mally. Roma and I will be learning about things we must know so we remain pure until our wedding day.


Enjoying the Blessings of a life at home with my family! Until next time, have a blessed weekend!
                                          For His Glory,
                                        ~Rubia

“Finally, brothers, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more.” 1 Thess. 4:1

“So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him, rooted and built up in Him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.” Col. 2:6-7





No comments: