Friday, February 14, 2014

Homeschool Blessings Part 3 (Last One! :-))


~ posted by Rubia

Here is one last post about some of the things I’ve enjoyed working on this past semester in homeschool! Two main subjects that were covered were English and Science.

I have almost always enjoyed English because I love to read and write. (Believe it or not I’m starting to miss my grammar!) Along with many “good reads” over the last few months, I had worked through a fun writing portfolio course with Roma, my twin sister and writing partner! This short course was on “How to Write a Report” by Sally Speer Leber. We started out with some rules about how to work together as writing partners, which helped us keep each other accountable and become better writers. J



The assignment given in the book was to conduct an interview with someone and write a report based on what you learned, both from the interview and from further research. The fun part was that we each got to interview someone in our field of interest for our future lives or jobs.

Because of my interest in missions, I decided to interview a former missionary to Costa Rica who goes to my home church. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures from the interview, but it did go very well. What I learned from this former missionary was very encouraging. Like all who are striving to serve and obey the Lord, he went through many trials with his wife when they were in the mission field. But through those trials, they learned from the Lord and grew closer to Him, while falling in love with the Costa Ricans and the work that God had for them there. I was very refreshed and encouraged by his stories and testimony, even though an actual field trip to Costa Rica was not included. L J (I would’ve liked that!)

Roma interviewed her music teacher, and after she and I both had our drafts written out, we compared them and asked each other questions to make sure that we were writing good reports which accurately, and in the right order, shared all the information necessary.

Though reports can sometimes be hard to write, I hope that it will be easier once I get used to writing them out well, and become a better writer!

We have read some neat books so far this year for Science, English, and God’s Witnesses. These include: “Flight of the Falcon” by Paul Thomsen, “Mountain of Fire” also by Thomsen, “The Great Alaskan Dinosaur Adventure” by Buddy Davis, Mike Liston, and John Whitmore, “Rebekah’s Diary” by Rebekah Pearl, and “Paula the Waldensian,” by Eva Lecomte.



Science was one of my favorite subjects last semester. The course that Roma and I went through wasn’t actually deep science, but rather more of a Biblical apologetics course, giving an introductory overview of astronomy and geology. Bianca and Ben had both completed this in 9th grade as well. It was the “Answers Academy” course with Ken Ham, Terry Mortenson, and Jason Lisle. It was challenging and encouraging, as they all talked about how important it is to be prepared to give an answer to those who ask you—to be prepared to defend your faith. (1 Peter 3:15) I learned about the many ways that creation proclaims that there is a God; that science backs up the Bible; and that evolution cannot be possible. It cannot be proven. Thus men are without excuse. (Rom. 1:20.)




No comments: