Saturday, December 22, 2012

Recipe--Maple Pecan Biscotti


As I mentioned last week, I have wanted to try some biscotti recipes for awhile, but never got around to it. I needed some recipes for the blog, so I tried several biscotti recipes since we had the ingredients.
 
This recipe makes a slightly sweet biscotti with a delightful hint of maple. This would make a great afternoon snack accompanied by a hot drink.
 
As I said previously, Biscotti would make a great Christmas gift for friends or family, especially coffee drinkers. We stored some of ours in a wide-mouthed canning jar. A nice red ribbon tied around it would make it the perfect gift!
 
Maple Pecan Biscotti
 
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
¼ cup butter
2 Tablespoons maple extract
2 medium eggs
2 cups toasted pecans (I used walnuts because that was all we had, and they turned out great!)
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
 
In a bowl, cream sugar and butter. Add maple extract, eggs and pecans. In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking powder; add to pecan mixture. Divide dough in halves or thirds. On a well-floured surface, shape into logs.

 
Ok, so I didn’t exactly follow the recipe. I confess! I just shaped it into one big log.

Transfer logs to a parchment paper-lined or lightly sprayed baking sheet; bake in a preheated 350° oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until firm and lightly browned. Cool on a rack for at least 5 minutes.


Cut logs on the diagonal into ¾-inch slices. (I cut some of the long slices in half.)
Return slices to baking sheet, leaving space around each slice, and continue baking for 10 to 15 minutes or until desired crispness.
 
Cool completely on rack. Makes 18-24. Enjoy!
 
Tips:
 
If the dough is too sticky to handle when it is time to form it into logs, chill it in the refrigerator for 1 or 2 hours and then work it into logs on a well-floured surface.
 
Do not crowd the biscotti slices on the baking sheet for the second baking. They need room for the hot air to circulate.
 
To make the biscotti crisper, flip it half way through the second baking.
 

2 comments:

Noelle said...

These look wonderful! Wish I could drive to your house and try some!!!

Love you,
Noelle

7 Eagles said...

I wish you could drive over and try some as well, Aunt Noelle! I will have to find a really good recipe that will be worth the 1,200 mile drive. :-)

~Bianca