Thursday, September 26, 2013

"God's Smuggler" Book Review



As part of my internship at our church, the Student Ministry Pastor has given me a few books to read. The first book he gave me was “God’s Smuggler” by Brother Andrew. Instantly intrigued, it’s needless to say that I had no trouble working my way through the book quite rapidly. J

The book is an autobiography of a Dutchman known as “Brother Andrew.” The first few chapters of the book talk about his upbringing and his conversion to Christianity. The rest of the book takes place in the years following WWII, when communism rapidly expanded in Europe and Asia. Brother Andrew was told that it was impossible to minister behind the Iron Curtain.

But Brother Andrew did not allow that to stop him. He knew he served a God of miracles, and he relied soley on His strength to minister for over 35 years, smuggling millions of Bibles into communist countries. His prayer at every border crossing was “Lord, make seeing eyes blind. Do not let the guards see those things You do not want them to see.” And they never did.

This book was a thrilling and convicting read for me. Brother Andrew never asked for funds, yet God always provided. Brother Andrew’s ministry—Bible smuggling—could have cost him his life, but he was willing to sacrifice that for Christ. He had the incredible faith that if he honored and obeyed God, He would protect and guard him. “God’s Smuggler” is truly an account of all the miracles God worked to bring the gospel to dozens of closed communist countries!

I would highly recommend this book for anyone ages 13 and over. It is a thrilling read, and just might leave your jaw on the floor at the incredible God we serve!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I also highly recommend it. It makes a great read-aloud book. Hmmmm. Maybe I should read this with my Sunday school class.

Kimber Scotland said...

This is an excellent book! I really enjoyed it too!
Love in Christ,
Hannah :)

7 Eagles said...

That's a great idea, Amy! I *really* enjoyed this book!

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

It definitely is, Hannah!

~Bianca