Friday, September 13, 2013

Love, Prayer, and a Life of Faith


~Posted by Rubia

A blogpost for this day was difficult for me to plan, I will admit. I’ve been reading so much, and learning so much, and doing so much these past few weeks—which part can I emphasize? Or, how might I mix a little bit of every experience in one post?

I have decided that the best thing I can do is share some Big Things that God has revealed to me in the past few weeks. For one, I have simply been learning to be more attentive to His voice. I had prayed so much that God would reveal His will to me on a day-to-day basis. But the thing that almost makes me want to laugh now, is that I got so busy and caught up in my own thoughts and my own work, that I was hardly—if not at all--listening for His reply! I believe that’s why I became frustrated with God, and I felt like my life was meaningless, especially because I lived every day doing the same thing. By reading His word, and listening to His teaching through others, I learned that I am not the only one who has felt this way, and that if I am truly walking with Jesus every day, my life is meaningful!

My personal study.

So of what importance is my life right now? (I’ve asked.) How can a high school girl live a meaningful life and have an impact on others? Some reminders in response to these frequent thoughts come from Paul’s instructions to Timothy in 1 Tim. Chapter 12, verse 4: “Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.” In verse 14, Paul says “Do not neglect your gift . . .” I think that if I pay attention to the gifts that God has given me, I can use those to be a blessing to others. And even if I see an opportunity before me to reach out to someone in a way that I don’t believe I’m qualified, I can trust God to work through me and I can take hold of every opportunity!

Our Pastor here in Texas has already had quite an impact on me when I listen to his words on Sunday. I find his teaching to be challenging, penetrating, eye-opening, and many times exciting! In the past few months, we have been going through a deep study of 1 John. One of the highlights that I’ve picked up so far is that everything in our lives solely depends upon our relationship with God the Father, His son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. To me this makes me think of how we reach out to others. If our relationship with Christ is not where it should be, how can we also have genuine fellowship with other Christians? How can we love them like Christ does?

This leads me to a simple yet sometimes challenging test that our Pastor taught us, taken from reading 1 John chapter 2:2-11. (Please read it!) Questions to ask yourself: #1) “Is Jesus God to me?” #2) “Do I hate sin?” #3) “Do I love my brothers? (Other Christians.)”

In the past few weeks I have been convicted of certain things concerning my relationships with other people. Experiencing the joy of genuine Christian fellowship is one thing I desire, but mostly, I really want to be able to reach out to those in need, whether it be physical needs or spiritual needs. I want to make the time to connect with my neighbors. I think that I have many opportunities before me to use my spiritual gifts, and to practice what needs work in my life, but I feel like the greatest excuses in my life have to do with my own work schedule, my own activities, and so on. Much, if not all of my day-to-day work indeed has importance, but my desire is to make the time to do work revolved around the mission He has given to Christians—spreading the gospel. I pray that by serving others, this will ultimately lead to sharing the gospel with them. Such opportunities I do believe will be given if I ask, and whether I like it or not, must ultimately be accomplished if it is God’s will, and I believe the reward will be great. Is this not God’s mission for all Christians? In what ways will He use you to accomplish it?

I have found that the basis, or the root of my life in Christ, is Him, and my relationship with Him. That means that everything that I want to do in life starts with Him, and every relationship that I want to have starts with my relationship with Him. Life is meant to be all about Jesus.

One area that has been “in check” for me since our Pastor preached about it is my prayer life. I have asked myself, “How devoted am I to prayer? What about spending time in His word, growing in Him?” I know that this is going to affect every aspect of my life. I have learned that prayer is more than just an information exchange. When I pray, I am in His presence. When I pray, I am giving full attention to God and receiving full attention from Him. Which also means that my heart is being exposed, and when my heart is exposed, I feel condemned, and when I feel condemned, that leads to a life of prayer, and a life of prayer . . . leads to a changing and growing me.

And once again, I understand the meaning in what Jesus did for me, and the meaning in my life. Isn’t it exciting to be a Christian?! As challenging as it may be, it is never too hard; and I don’t ever want to look back and say that all I lived for was to go through the motions.

This is such a well known verse, but I never want to overlook it—I want to experience it.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roma, I delighted in reading your post. It took my mind to Psalm 31, verse 15, specifically the first statement, where David exclaims,
"My times are in your hands". I like it better when I read it in my Spanish Bible, "MI VIDA ENTERA ESTA EN TUS MANOS". Bio and I studied this psalm for our devocional one day last week and we were blessed by that assurance.
Roma, the Lord delights in your diligence in studying His Word and growing through it. That is our daily prayer for all our 7 grandchildren and by His Grace, we are seeing great results. We love you. BiaBio

7 Eagles said...

Thank you so much for your comment, Bia! Though Roma actually wasn't the one who wrote it...I think you meant me.:)I myself have been delighted and challenged when studying God's word. I am so thankful for the blessing of a Bible of my own. And everything it says is truth, including the fact that our times ARE in God's hands! Thank you for bringing me that reminder. It is also so good to see our prayers being answered! I love you too.~Rubia