Friday, February 22, 2013

Grandma: Part 4


~Thursday, February 14~

As I mentioned yesterday, we had some issues come up following Grandma’s death. These are matters that we prefer to keep private, but I wanted to try to blog around them, if you will, so that you get an idea of what happened the rest of the week following Grandma’s death.

On Thursday morning Mom woke me up early to go with Dad to return our rental car and pick up the Budget truck we had reserved to transport the things we were taking from Grandma and Grandpa’s house.

When we got back home, I quickly ate a muffin and we began packing up the things we wanted to take. Dad was supposed to have a meeting with a lawyer that morning but that ended up getting cancelled.

Instead, we ran some other errands and then went over to Burger King. I had eaten a few pieces of the leftover ham as “lunch” so just got a smoothie. My appetite was pretty low from all that was going on.

After that we went to the hardware store to pick up some kits to change the locks at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. Their locks were all original (the house was built in the 50’s) so they didn’t all work well. Unfortunately the locks and doors aren’t standard, so the locks we had purchased wouldn’t work. And we accidently broke the old lock taking it out. L So we had to call a locksmith.

After that, we loaded up our things from the house and ran a few more errands. We finished after 9:00 p.m. and we still hadn’t eaten dinner. Dad and Ben went out to get pizza and breadsticks.

I don’t think we all made it to bed until after midnight. It had been a very long and difficult day, but we were thankful for God’s promises, especially that He is always with us and never forsakes us.

~Friday, February 15~

Friday afternoon Dad was scheduled to have a meeting with another lawyer. But once again, that meeting did not work out.

So in the morning, we ate breakfast out, then headed back towards the house to do a final walk-through and say goodbye to the place where—in a way—we all had grown up. On our way we ran into my Dad’s sister and her family. They were also on their way to the house. They decided to drive around and come back after we did our walk-through, to load up their things.

I am going to miss this place so much. My memories of time spent here are innumerable. It has been one of the only constant places present in my life so far.
The back porch with the glider.
The backyard, where we kids spent many hours playing games, catching fireflies, and shooting off small fireworks on the 4th of July.
When my cousins came back, we all said our goodbyes outside. I’m not really sure when I’ll see them again, so it was rough.
Photo Credit: Roma.
After saying our goodbyes, we left town and headed for my Grandparents’ house in Ohio to spend the night.

We all enjoyed seeing the other side of the family, but Josiah in particular was excited for the opportunity to see his cousins.
We ate a delicious dinner fixed by my Abuela and enjoyed fellowshipping with our family. We fell into bed, exhausted , late that night.


To be continued . . .



No comments: