Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My "Father-in-Love"



~Posted by Betsy (Tribute written to share at the funeral)

Dearest Father-in-Love:

You and I have been friends for almost 28 years. For 24 of those, you have been my favorite--and my only--"father-in-love." In that time, we have built countless memories together. You have seen me go from young, eager girlfriend to your only son, to young, naive wife, to young, super-busy mom of 5 young ones, all the way to now not-so-young wife and mother. Through all that growth and development, you have loved me like your own precious daughter.

I cannot begin to express what you have meant to me. You had so many wonderful Christian qualities; exhibited so many of the fruits of the Spirit. Without any proactive teaching on your part, I have learned so much from your quiet, humble example. From you I learned that "meek" is not "weak." I learned what it really looked like for a man to be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. I learned what it meant to persevere under trial, for oh how many trials you have had! You showed me a living picture of unswerving, unconditional, till-death-do-us-part devotion to your wife.

You had a way of demonstrating love in every little thing you did. I love that you would send me emails with funny things you'd read, or beautiful photos you knew I'd enjoy, or stories that touched your heart and you wanted to share with me. I love that you could relate to each one of our children, knew their strengths and interests individually, and could enter into their passions with them. I love that you baked your special fudge for us every Christmas, and always made sure that sponge candy was in Mark's and my Christmas stocking. I love that you and Mark spoke faithfully on the phone every Sunday night. I loved that you read your Bible every morning, sitting on the mauve easy chair in your living room, or on the enclosed porch in nicer weather. I loved that you and R still enjoyed drinking coffee with me in the mornings when we visited. Lots of people don't drink coffee anymore, you know.

I loved how excited you would get about singing in the Christmas program at church for so many years. I loved that you loved jazz and Big Band music, like I do. I loved that you rode a rollercoaster with Ben that was too wild for me, and that you and R eagerly rode in Dad's plane with him. I loved that you never lost your southern drawl, nor your southern manners, nor your love for grits.

Most of all, I love that even though you are gone from here, you are very much alive!! To be honest, grandpa, I'm a little jealous of you. You are exactly where my soul so often longs to be. Because of that, right next to my sorrow, there is joy. I am thrilled that you are singing again...that you are breathing in aromas you've never experienced before...that you are moving effortlessly through time and space. I rejoice that you are face to face with the One who made this inheritance possible.

You have left behind a priceless legacy: a wife who adored you for 57 years; and two children who honored you with all of their hearts, who have faithfully served The Lord you serve, and who are even now passing that same legacy on to your grandchildren.

We love you, Grandpa, and we will see you again by and by!

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." (James 1:10)

No comments: