Friday, February 8, 2013

My Grandpa



~Posted by Bianca (Tribute written to share at the funeral)

Dear Grandpa:

At a time like this there can be so much to say, and so little to say. It hasn’t sunk in that you’re really gone and I’m not sure when it will. There have been so many thoughts and emotions swirling around in me over the past several days.

Some of the thoughts going through my mind have been the things you won’t be around for. That has probably been the hardest thing to think about. You won’t be here for my high school graduation this May. You won’t be able to hear about my month-long stay in Haiti this summer. I won’t have the pleasure of introducing you to my future spouse one day, and telling him that he has to compete with the character of my amazing Grandpa. J You won’t have the pleasure of meeting your first great-grandchild. I won’t be able to warm your coffee, weed in your garden, sit by your side and look at old photos, or wheel you through the nursing home to visit Grandma.

While you will not be here for all of this, there has been so much that you have been present for. You have left such an incredible legacy for your children and grandchildren. I have never known a more patient man in my life. In my 17 years of life, I only heard you raise your voice once. That time was pretty well justified; the child hurling Tinker-toys across the basement really needed to stop! J Whenever you prayed, you always found something to be thankful for no matter what kind of day you were having. And you prayed for us even when you could barely catch your breath. I will always remember your smiles and the way you liked to tease us kids from time to time. I’ll never forget the double hugs I’d give you whenever we said goodbye. One just wasn’t enough!

I don’t think I’ll ever find someone who can make fudge quite like yours. You always had a knack for giving us kids gifts that were really meaningful. You often sent us home with little sentimental items like old pictures, articles that belonged to you and your parents, your old tripod, and other gifts that will always be treasured by us. You were such a fine example of a southern gentleman. You have left an incredible legacy for your family.

Although the weight of losing you is crushing at times, I am reminded that you are oblivious to sorrows and pain now. You can sing at the top of your lungs with the heavenly choir. You can walk and run as you never have before. You can fill your lungs with the pure air of heaven. I believe your skills as an artist and a craftsman will make you appreciate the beauty of heaven all the more. You will never have to say another goodbye, never have to catch your breath, and never shed a tear that won’t be wiped away by the Savior you spent your life serving.

With this I must say goodbye to you, my dear Grandpa. There will be times of tears and sorrows, so please don’t be mad if I cry. I’ve never had the opportunity to live close to you, so please save a place for me right next to yours. I know we will meet again someday soon. I can’t wait to be with you there.

Love Your Granddaughter,

Bianca

No comments: