Thursday, April 12, 2012

"Hostage Lands" Book Review


Recently I finished reading another Douglas Bond book called “Hostage Lands.” I had enjoyed “The Betrayal” by Bond and was excited to pick up another book by him. I believe I enjoyed this book even more than “The Betrayal!”

Part of the reason I may have finished the book so fast is because I really enjoy Roman history. I’m not exactly sure why, but I LOVE books set during the time of the Roman Empire. This book reminded me a lot of one of my favorite movies, Pendragon.

The book starts off with modern-day English Latin student Neil Perkins lamenting how much he detests his studies. On his way home from school one day, he finds an ancient Latin manuscript. His curiosity is piqued and he endeavors to translate the script.

The book then switches to the story found in the script. Roman Centurion Rusticus is the main character of the story. It’s 211 A.D., and the Roman army is fighting against the Celts in Britain. After a tragic battle, Rusticus becomes friends with a native-Celt-serving-as-a-Roman-soldier, Calum. Rusticus and Calum are sent on a spy mission into the North lands to spy on the Celts. As Rusticus gets to know Calum better, Calum’s faith in Christ begins to have an influence on Rusticus. The book ends with a great climax along with many twists and turns along the way.

This book was a great read and one that I would certainly recommend for all ages!

No comments: