Friday, April 6, 2012

The Ultimate Betrayal

            Shivering, I pulled my cloak tighter around my shoulders. My breath hung in clouds around me in the cool night air. But I shuddered at more than just the cold. I hate walking alone in the garden at night. Why did Mother need me to run an errand on such a cold and dark evening? The olive trees in the grove cast eerie shadows across my path.

            There has been such turmoil in the city. I sighed and quickened my pace. How I longed to be home with the rest of my family. This Roman occupation has kept everyone in fear. Now with this Teacher, there is unrest among the teachers of the Law.

            Suddenly I stopped in my tracks. What was that sound? Every part of my body tensed as I heard it. Voices!

            Hurriedly I looked around for a safe place to hide. My heart thumped hard against my chest. Were they Roman soldiers? Who would be in the garden this time of night?

            Spying a clump of bushes, I dove behind them, just as the group of men came into view. I strained my eyes to see who they were. One of them turned, and as the moonlight fell on his face I recognized him. It was Jesus.

            Slowly I let out a breath. It was not a surprise to see the Teacher here. He came often to pray and talk with his disciples. During the day, the peaceful olive grove provided a solitary place for worship of Yahweh.

            I strained to hear the Teacher as they paused on the path. What was He saying? He motioned for the disciples to sit. But Peter, James, and John followed Jesus as He turned to walk on further.

            My legs cramped with cold as I crouched behind the bushes. I dared not move and reveal that I had been watching. The disciples talked quietly for awhile. But slowly, the conversation died off. A few of them rested their heads on tree trunks. Others made pillows of their cloaks and placed them on the ground. Soon, they were fast asleep.

            I looked around to see if I could sneak away. Cautiously I gathered up my mantle and crept towards the path. Once out of earshot, I broke into a run.

            Rounding a corner, I stopped abruptly, gasping at the sight of a mob about one furlong away. Stricken with fear at the sight of the armed soldiers, I ducked behind a clump of trees. I tried desperately to suppress the sound of my breathing, which was coming in huge gasps.

            The crowd drew closer, and now I saw officials of the chief priests. They were carrying torches, lanterns, and weapons. Where were they going? And who was that man leading them?

            I strained to get a closer look at him. As the mob passed by, he turned his head just enough for me to see his face. . .

            Judas! One of the twelve! What was he doing leading this mob of angry men? I recoiled in shock at my discovery.

            The mob moved past my hiding place. Now was my chance to run home. But… what was going to happen to the Teacher? In my anxiety, I turned back towards the olive grove and followed after the mob at a distance.

            They had stopped where the disciples had been sleeping. I crept around a corner of the grove to get a better view.

            A burly soldier was speaking to one of the twelve. I crept closer to hear.

            “Where is he?” the soldier asked gruffly.

            The Teacher walked up the hill with Peter, James and John. “Who is it you want?” He called to the soldier.

            “Jesus of Nazareth!” the soldier replied.

           Then Judas stepped forward. His eyes were like those of a man possessed by a demon. Brazenly he kissed the Teacher. “Greetings, Rabbi” he said. 

            The Teacher looked at Judas with tremendous sorrow. “Friend, do what you came to do,” he replied.

           I could not bear to look as the soldiers seized the Teacher and led him away. What would they do to Him?

           How could Judas betray one of his closest friends? How could he betray a man who had only done good toward others? How could he live with this guilt and shame?


To be continued. . .

No comments: