Monday, October 7, 2013

The Blog Post That Almost Wasn't



I had planned to write a post today about our family vacation to Puerto Rico (which we just returned from.) I was looking forward to a leisurely day since we’re still on vacation another week while we have family visiting us in Texas. But—as happens quite often—my day turned into an unprecedented adventure!

This morning, we got a text from someone my Uncle needed to have a meeting with. They wanted to know if we could be there in an hour. I quickly ate some breakfast and left to take him. After we dropped him off, Ben and I went to Starbucks and relaxed for about an hour while we waited for him to finish.

On our way to pick him up, we swung by church so I could drop off a book and pick up a different book from one of our Pastors. Then we picked up my Uncle and drove down the road to show him around the airport and the area where my Dad works, while we killed time before his next appointment at 12:00 p.m.

I took him over to that meeting, and then Ben and I went to Walmart and did our non-perishable grocery shopping. We still had time to kill before picking up my Uncle, so we went to a bookstore and browsed for awhile.

That’s when the adventure began. When I came outside, I noticed my tire. I had known I needed to replace it soon, but I wasn’t expecting this soon. I texted a picture to my Dad to find out how bad the situation was.

Then we drove back to pick up my Uncle. The three of us went to McAlister’s Deli for lunch. As we were sitting there, I get a call from my Dad. He says NOT TO DRIVE ON A TIRE LOOKING LIKE THAT. I talk with him for a few minutes, trying to determine our options. I hang up and call Mom to discuss it with her. Then she hangs up to call my Dad. She calls back and says we should drive over to Sam’s Club which was only a quarter-of-a-mile down the road. She had talked with someone there who would get us all hooked up with a set of new tires.

We finish our lunch and drive over there. We find the guy she talked to, and he tries to find our member number. The number we gave him supposedly expired and he couldn’t’ find the new one. We tried looking it up by name, phone number, and zip code before we finally found it. Twenty minutes later, they finally start working on the car and tell us we have 45 minutes to an hour to wait.

So we decide to do our perishable grocery shopping at Sam’s Club. We get all that done, and still have to wait about 15 minutes in the cafeteria.

Once we finally got the car, we drove to Braum’s to pick up some ice cream to have later that week. Somehow, I got lost. I get on the freeway when I wasn’t supposed to and missed the turn. I have to get off, turn around, and go back around.

We FINALLY get the ice cream and head for home. We didn’t arrive until about 4:30 p.m. We had expected to be back by 1 or 2 o’clock.

After all that running around, I was very tired! So that, my friends, is why there is no vacation post yet. J I promise it will come soon! If I can manage to have a normal day, sans any unexpected adventures, that is . . .

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm glad that you noticed your tire and were able to get it fixed before having problems with it!

7 Eagles said...

It was a blessing that we noticed it, Sarah! And that we were in town so we could get it fixed right away. There were quite a few blessings that came out of it!

~Bianca