Thursday, April 14, 2011

100th Blog Post!

We have now posted 100 times on our blog! On this momentous occasion, we have decided to share 100 things that you probably don’t know about our family. We hope that you enjoy!

100 Things You Probably Don’t Know About Our Family:

1. We have lived in 3 different states and 8 different homes/apartments.

2. We are strangers in a strange land: Ohio State fans in the middle of Michigan!

3. We eat pizza every Friday night, muffins every Saturday morning, and waffles every Sunday morning.

4. The girls have collectively donated 24 inches of hair to Locks of Love.

5. We have all been to Puerto Rico to meet Betsy’s 90+ year old Grandmother.

6. Most of us plan on going on a missions trip to Peru next summer, Lord willing.

7. Our favorite restaurant is Bob Evans. But we could also survive on Italian and Mexican cuisine!

8. From the time the twins were born, we have always had a minivan.

9. By God’s grace, we have all accepted the gift of salvation and have been baptized or plan to be sometime in the near future!

Mark:

10. I did not grow up in a Christian home. I became a Christian in my 20’s after I met Betsy. I was sprinkled, and later on baptized by immersion. I was dunked three times!

11. I have been on business trips to France, Germany, Turkey, China, Japan, Mexico, Italy, Honduras, Spain, Canada, South Korea, England, the Netherlands, and I will soon visit India.

12. I played the saxophone (alto, tenor, bass) and clarinet in high school.

13. I am a private pilot and have hit 6G’s of force in an airplane before.

14. I ran track (high hurdles) and cross country in high school and continue to run today.

15. In general I don’t like seafood but I have eaten sashimi, sushi, squid, octopus, alligator, fish that were staring at me, and other unidentified objects of aquatic nature while in foreign countries.

16. I don’t like coffee.

17. I’m an Eagle Scout.

18. I’ve driven a V12 Engine, at 140 mph.

19. I don’t read fiction.

20. I’ve hiked the Grand Canyon in one day, then white water rafted down the Colorado the next two days.

21. I have been to Siguatepeque, Honduras; Dr. Arroyo, Mexico; and Nassau, Bahamas on missions trips. I almost went to South Africa, and hope to go to Peru next year.

22. I stood 4 feet from a black bear while camping with Boy Scouts in Canada. That’s WAY too close! He was eating food outside of our tent.

Betsy:

23. I went to boarding school for four years in high school.

24. I am Puerto Rican and speak fluent Spanish and Pig Latin. J

25. My favorite time of day is 11:11 a.m. or p.m. It thrills me!

26. I come from a long line of poets, writers, artists, and composers. The pressure is on! J

27. My favorite words in college were “endoplasmic reticulum” and “perpendicular.”

28. I actually adore monotonous, tedious paper work.

29. The sight of really well organized shelves makes me excited and very happy!

30. I have two masters degrees; one in Creative Writing and another in Business Administration.

31. I became a Christian when I was 10 years old, and was baptized at age 12.

32. When the Spirit of the Lord is near to me, I weep.

33. I am completely a morning person, and not at all a night person. I have been known to take a nap in the evening, and then go straight to bed!

34. I believe that coffee is a gift from God.

35. My name means “consecrated to God.”

Bianca:

36. I was born the day before my due date (not induced!)

37. I play the piano and guitar.

38. I have a smashed growth plate in my left pinky. I was in an accident at age 10, and didn’t realize the severity of it until a month later. We can’t do anything about it at this point, but it doesn’t bother me at all.

39. I saved Roma’s life once. She was learning how to walk and toddled into our sump pump well. She grabbed onto the edge and started screaming bloody murder. I ran upstairs to get Mom who was in the middle of changing a diaper. Needless to say, our sump pump has forever been covered since this incident!

40. I have eaten duck breast, mussels, and cactus (but not together of course. J)

41. I am in my fifth year of ballet.

42. I have read through the Bible once, soon-to-be twice in September!

43. I became a Christian when I was 6 years old and was baptized at age 11.

44. I have actually flown an airplane.

45. I only wear ankle socks. But that may change since I’ve started wearing skirts full time. Ankle socks don’t look right nor keep me very warm!

46. I hate coffee. I can’t drink it, and I’m not a big fan of the smell.

47. I am a night owl.

48. I have finished a 10 mile race and a half marathon.

Ben:

49. I hated chocolate as a child. I don’t know what was wrong with me! J

50. I play the drums.

51. I became a Christian when I was 4 years old, and was baptized at age 10.

52. With all the different “OCD’s” there must be an explanation for this: I have to touch everything an even amount of times. My sister says someday I may burn myself, and I’ll have to do it again!

53. I enjoy really rough sports such as football and wrestling.

54. I am currently a Boy Scout and hope to achieve the rank of Eagle Scout.

55. I’ve been on a missions trip to the Bahamas.

56. I have actually touched George Washington’s coffin. An even amount of times. J

57. I hate sloppy Joe.

58. Although I adore dogs, my all-time favorite animals are cats (lions, tigers, mountain lions, domesticated cats, etc.) I find it very entertaining to watch them in action while hunting prey.

59. Sometimes when I laugh really loud, I sound like I’m plugging my nose. J I also chuckle at the end of every sentence (another OCD J) Ha-Ha!

60. I hope to join the Marines when I am an adult, and afterward, go into full-time ministry.

61. I have been white water rafting before, and the boat flipped. It wasn’t my fault.

Rubia:

62. Reading in the car makes me carsick.

63. I think marshmallows look like hair curlers.

64. I don’t like canned tomatoes.

65. I looove the color blue.

66. I became a Christian when I was 8 and I’m getting baptized on Palm Sunday of this year.

67. I am 7 minutes older than Roma.

68. I like to write books.

69. Sometimes board games make me fall asleep.

70. One time I hid in a toy box and growled, and my siblings thought I was a grizzly bear.

71. I like to go next door and babysit the little girls.

72. Swiss cheese makes me feel sick.

73. I don’t like any canned veggies.

74. I like to swim.

Roma:

75. I saved Josiah from drowning in a lake when I was 7 years old. He fell in head first and I screamed to get someone’s attention.

76. I became a Christian when I was 9 years old, and I will be baptized on April 17th!

77. I play the piano.

78. I used to be called “Snuffy” as a little kid.

79. When I was a baby, my parents noticed I was having drop seizures. We had several visits with brain surgeons and an MRI, and all of a sudden my seizures stopped and I haven’t had any since.

80. I talk to myself sometimes. J

81. I know how to knit, and have knitted several scarves for dolls and people.

82. I used to think cotton candy was hair and thought it was disgusting until I tried it. Now I eat it every time we go to the fair!

83. Sometimes I hide and scare my brothers and sisters. J

84. At Christmas I purchased a Bible for a friend of mine.

85. I tried to mop the carpet for Mommy when I was little.

86. I used to suck my thumb and carry around a (clean) cloth diaper as a baby.

87. People call me a “cat whisperer” because I am very good with cats.

Josiah:

88. At 19 months, I was bitten in the face by our family dog. I had to get 5 stitches in the ER. We found out that the dog had a tumor that I was pushing on, and he was in great pain, which is why he bit me. Thankfully, he just missed my eye by a fraction of an inch.

89. I LOVE legos and play-mobiles, especially my police headquarters set and airport.

90. I’m called “Bubby,” “Spud,” “Jo-Jo Bean,” and “Joe.”

91. My favorite color is red.

92. My favorite food is cake. J

93. I’ve already lost three baby teeth.

94. I like playing chess with my family. I usually win.

95. I learned how to read in a hotel.

96. I like playing soccer and football. I hope to play on a football team when I’m older.

97. I eat marshmallows and juice every morning.

98. I don’t like tomatoes very much.

99. I like pizza!

100. I became a Christian when I was 4 years old. I hope to be baptized when I am older!

8 comments:

Amy said...

Such an entertaining post (makes me want to start writing one of my own...1) I don't like the taste of coffee, but I like the smell 2) I can't stand touching textured fabric such as velvet, especially if all the plush isn't facing the same direction...)

Some of your 100 facts I knew, and others were new to me. I just have to ask, Josiah do you really eat marshmallows every day for breakfast?

Judith Cook said...

HA! I was wondering the same thing about Josiah!
1. I can relate with Rubia, I get carsick in the car if I read a book. That takes all the fun out of traveling!!
2. I usually only drink coffee if others around me are having some.
3. I hate flying.
4. I ONLY EVER wear ankle socks, because I don't like anything on my legs! lol And because of this...
5. I sometimes wear sandals during the winter! Crazy, I know, but for some reason cold feet don't usually bother me. :]

Thanks for posting this is fun!!

Sarah said...

This was fun to read through! You all have some interesting and fun facts about you. :) Thanks for sharing!

Betsy said...

thanks for all the fascinating tidbits

1. I love long colored socks
2. I ride a unicycle and on a good day can do a figure eight with it
3. I sleep with an ice-pack and a stuffed frog
4. I talk to myself routinely
5. I'm a middle kid I'll often introduce myself as such and explain that I have two older brothers, and two younger brothers, I have two older sister and two younger sisters.

gotta love quirks!

~the Betsy Cook

7 Eagles said...

You should write one of your own, Amy! But you're probably getting closer to your 1000th post; maybe you should think of 1000 things about yourself. . . just kidding of course! :-)

I know a lot of people who like the smell but not the taste of coffee. I actually do enjoy going to coffee shops, so I don't dislike the smell very much. And Mom remembered about you and fabric!

I'm glad that we were able to put in a few facts that you didn't know! There are probably even more!

And Josiah really does eat marshmallows every morning! He has since he was 2. He eats one big marshmallow, or a handful of little ones. He's the only healthy eating hypocrite in the family! :-)

Thank you for your comment, Amy!

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

Yes, Judith, Josiah really does have marshmallows every morning! But he manages to stay thin as a rail and doesn't become hyper despite all the sugar.

We're sorry to hear that you don't like flying. We joke around and tell people that if my Dad took them up in a small plane just once and did some "fun stuff" that they would never mind flying in large aircrafts ever again! :-)

I'd love to see you wearing sandles in the winter! :-) Especially with all the snow you get in PA!

Thanks for your comment, Judith!

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the post, Sarah! We had fun thinking of things people probably didn't know about us!

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

I knew you would mention something about colorful socks, Betsy! :-) And I hope that you have many unicycle riding hours this summer, and that the ice pack will eventually disappear.

You would fit right into our family when it comes to talking to themselves. :-) I won't name names, but at least 2 people in our family are notorious for carrying on conversations with themselves.

Most jaws probably drop when you tell them you're the middle child of 9. And people think we have lots of kids! :-)

~Bianca