Monday, April 25, 2011

So Much More Book Review


When I found out that I would be attending the Vision Forum Father Daughter Retreat, I thought it would be a good idea to read “So Much More,” since the authors, Anna Sofia and Elizabeth Botkin, would be speaking at the retreat.

I had picked up the book and started reading it about a year ago when we first purchased it. But it hadn’t really captured my attention, and then my Mom borrowed it to read. It really struck a chord with her! So much of what was in the book made sense to her!

Once I started reading it again a few months ago, it really intrigued me and I went through the book fairly quickly. It primarily discusses the crisis in father and daughter relationships today. This relationship is almost non-existent in our current culture. Fathers and daughters may have a chummy, good-humored relationship, but by and large, daughters are not being led by their fathers in their decision making.

There were many things that stuck with me since reading this book. First and foremost, I realized that from a Biblical standpoint, I am under my father’s authority and protection until the day of marriage. God has given him this responsibility, and as such, it is my duty--and my privilege--as a daughter to serve him and help him advance the kingdom of God, while remaining under his protection. I can be very fruitful in advancing God’s kingdom without ever making myself vulnerable by separating myself from my father—and family—for extended periods of time.

I also learned that Biblical femininity need not be only about knitting, baking, sewing, etc. Rather, I need to be helping my father in whatever ministry projects he undertakes. For the Botkin sisters, that meant learning the art of filmmaking in order to help their father. For some it means helping with a family business. Right now for me, it means that I am helping as my father’s research assistant.


Busy researching with the concordance, study Bible, dictionary, Greek-English lexicon, Bible dictionary, and the laptop.

Something else I took away from this book was some serious food for thought regarding fathers, daughters, and the right career and education. We have spent much time in prayer and discussion on this issue, and as of right now, I am planning on staying at home after graduating from homeschool high school, and continuing my education right here, under the protection of my father, and with the companionship of my family. There will be more on this in future posts.

This book—as well as other resources—has also helped me realize that there are people in this world who DON’T want me to live under my father’s protection and guidance. The appendix has an interview between the Botkin sisters and their father, Geoffrey Botkin, which is very revealing of the sinister plan by various leaders throughout history, to destroy father-daughter relationships, and the Biblical family in general. The appendix also contains quotes from well-known feminists and communists that demonstrate this very well. For example, American historian Linda Gordon, in an article published in 1969 entitled “Functions of the Family” said the following: “The nuclear family must be destroyed, and people must find better ways of living together. . . .Whatever its ultimate meaning, the break-up of families now is an objectively revolutionary process. . . Families have supported oppression by separating people into small, isolated units, unable to join together to fight for common interest. . .”

Daughters like me need to realize that we must wage war with the culture, because there ARE people who desire to destroy the relationships between fathers and daughters, thus destroying the health of the family, future generations, the church, and ultimately, the nation.

There were a few parts of the book that I disagree on, some regarding missions work for example, but as a whole, this book has been a very beneficial and thought-provoking read! I would highly recommend it to any daughter and even mothers who are raising daughters. If anything, I hope it encourages fellow daughters to look to Scripture for examples of how the father daughter relationship is to work, and then put it into practice! This book has truly changed our whole family, and it will be re-read many times over!

No comments: