Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Father Daughter Retreat! Part 1

Last month, my Dad and I attended the 2011 Vision Forum Father and Daughter Retreat at Callaway Gardens in Georgia. Because it would take so long to tell you about it, I have decided to break it down by days. So here is a view of the first day of our trip from my journal pages. . .

Day One

Wow! I’m finally going to the retreat! Yesterday it took me a couple of hours to pack. I kept forgetting things! I made it to bed around 9:30 p.m. I woke up several times thinking my alarm had gone off. Anyway, 3:30 a.m. came quickly. I made my bed, got dressed, and went downstairs. Mommy got up to make us hot chocolate J I chatted with her and then went to finish packing.


Daddy and I enjoying hot chocolate before we left.

We left at 4:30 a.m. and had a nice traffic-free drive to the airport. We caught a shuttle from the parking lot to the airport that was playing country music way too loud for this hour.

When we checked in at the airport, we found out we could switch to a direct flight to Atlanta. Good deal! We then went to eat breakfast. It was actually pretty hearty and tasty. On our way to security, we saw the B’s from our old church! We chatted a bit and then went through security. Nothing went wrong, praise the Lord! Then we talked with Mr. B for quite awhile. They are on their way to Florida. It sounds like they’re doing well.


Waiting to board our plane.

We waited about 30 minutes before boarding our flight. I passed the time checking blogs and IM’ing Mom on Dad’s ipod. We boarded and I got to watch the sunrise out of my window. Then we took off!


The lovely sunrise.

I read my Bible and journaled while enjoying complementary pretzels and water. Then I thumbed through magazines and enjoyed the scenery.


We must be getting close: I see mountains!

We landed on time, but had to taxi for quite awhile because they switched the runways after we landed, and a bunch of planes had to change directions!


The incredibly crowded Atlanta airport.

The Atlanta airport is HUGE. We caught a couple of trains to collect our luggage and get the rental car. We ended up with a nice Chevy Cruz. The drive was about an hour and a half, but we stopped at Subway for lunch. Then we took a detour. J Daddy decided we should stop at the local airport. We chatted with a gentleman there for about 20 minutes. Then we continued to Callaway!

We arrived and checked into the hotel. I saw the Botkins working in the lobby and David Noor’s sister. We dropped off our things in our room and then took off for the gardens. We drove to a 150-year-old pioneer log cabin and looked inside.


The outside of the cabin.

Then we drove towards the Azalea bowl. The gardens are absolutely beautiful! The azaleas are stunning, especially when you look over the lagoon.


The beautiful azaleas next to the lagoon.

After perusing the gardens, we drove back to the Inn, grabbed a few things from our room and then headed for the lawn.


The Grand Lawn.

The games began at 3:30 p.m. We had so much fun, but I don’t want to tell you too much, because that would ruin the surprise for those of you that may go in the future!

After the games we sat on the lawn for awhile, waiting for everyone to finish up so we could start the picnic. As I went through the food line, Mr. Botkin came up next to me and said, “How are you doing, young lady?” I said, “Good, how are you, Mr. Botkin?” And he said “Fine” and then looked at my name tag. Then he started talking to Dad by name and asking about his job. How cool is that?!


It was the perfect day for a picnic!

Following the picnic, we ran up to our room to grab binders and then headed for the ice cream social. It was very good! Afterward, we browsed the book table and bought two books by Dr. Voddie Baucham. Finally, the doors opened, and the sessions began!

Mr. Phillips gave a message on six things he wants us to take away from the retreat. It was excellent, the most truth I have heard in a long time. His message was solid and I felt spiritually refreshed. I think he is my favorite speaker so far! J

Then we had a short stretching break before Mr. Botkin spoke. His session was entitled, “How to Involve Your Daughter in Your Life.” It was very good as well. He speaks like a college professor; I can’t write fast enough to keep up!

We made it back to our room pretty late that night! I showered and then we called Mommy. I think this is the third time I called her today! J Then Dad showered. Afterward, we prayed and turned in for the night.


4 comments:

Amy said...

As I was scrolling through the pictures, I thought maybe you were staying at the log cabin. That would have been fun!

Sounds like a wonderful retreat.

Judith Cook said...

What a special time together! Can't wait to read more!

7 Eagles said...

It would have been fun to stay in the cabin, Amy, except for the fact that the only heat comes from the fireplace and there is no running water! But it was still fun to imagine.

It was indeed a wonderful retreat! I wouldn't trade that time spent with my Dad for anything else in the world!

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

It was a very special time indeed, Judith! I would never trade that time I spent with my Daddy for anything!

~Bianca