Friday, August 30, 2013

Graduation Party!


August 17th, 2013 was a long-awaited day for me. It was the day of my high school graduation party! I have literally been thinking about this day since the 8th grade. J The last couple of months leading up to the party were filled with many long-distance phone calls as we communicated our party visions to those in Michigan who could actually help with the ground work (since we were 1,200+ miles away from the party location.) One of the promises my parents had made me when we moved to Texas in the middle of my senior year, was that I could still have my graduation party in Michigan. It took a lot of special planning to make that happen!

A few years ago, I helped put on a graduation party for a friend. The family had the party at a park instead of at their home. I swore at the time that I would NEVER do that! It was just too difficult; I was perfectly happy to have my party at home. I ate those words and brought my graduation not simply across town, but literally across the country! We certainly could not have done it without the help of dozens of friends.

The theme I had settled on for the party was an Old-Fashioned Country Western Picnic. My decorations included lots of red gingham, boot bouquets, burlap, mason jar candles, bandanas, clothes pins, twine, and peanuts in the shell.

Most of the pictures in this post were not taken by me, but by two friends who agreed to be my photographers. I can’t tell you how strange it was for me to NOT take pictures! Photography really becomes an instinct after awhile. J

Early that morning, Mom and I left our hotel. I think we got to the church around 8 a.m. My Senior Piano Recital and Graduation Ceremony didn’t start until 11:00 a.m., so we thought we had plenty of time.

We finished setting out the decorations. These were the centerpieces on the tables.
Photo Credit: Amy Cook.

My display table with a photo/music slideshow, photo books, western decorations, a photo frame for people to sign, a journal for people to write words of wisdom and encouragement, and a card basket.
Mom, Uncle Paul, and I worked feverishly to get all the ice into coolers, and get all the food from the church out to the pavilion. The rest of the family started to arrive around 10:30 a.m. and pitched in and helped.
Photo Credit: Amy Cook.
I was starting to panic a little bit at this point. I was trying to whip up several quarts of cream (it wasn’t cooperating), people were arriving, and I didn’t feel ready! Finally, I handed off my duties to others, took a deep breath, and went into the sanctuary and talked with people. Everyone kept reminding me that it was my party; it started whenever I got there! J
Photo Credit: Amy Cook.
With everything finally completed, we started the piano recital.
Photo Credit: Amy Cook
I went a little non-traditional with my recital. I didn’t play a lot of classical pieces, but rather pieces that had some significance in my life. In between selections, I shared the significance behind each chosen song, and the lesson it had taught me over the past year.
Photo Credit: Amy Cook.

After this, it was all a surprise to me! I sat down, and a slideshow started playing. It was the same photo/music slideshow that Daddy had made for my Rite of Passage ceremony back when I turned 13. What really surprised me was the extension to it! He had added another song and pictures from the past 5 years. It was so special!

After that, each of my immediate family members read a letter they had written to me. I will truly treasure them forever! They brought back a flood of memories and emotions.
Photo Credit: Amy Cook.
After that, I shared the graduation speech I had written. It was really more of a testimony to the ways God has worked in my life up until this point. I also had a lot of thank-you’s to express!
Photo Credit: Amy Cook.
And then came the grand moment when Mom and Dad presented my diploma!!! It was an incredible feeling, especially after all the hurdles I had to jump through Senior year.
Photo Credit: Amy Cook.
Then it was time for the open house! We had over 100 people come out over the course of the day. It was so good to visit with family and friends. And we were blessed with absolutely perfect weather! I think the temperature was in the upper 70’s with sun and a slight breeze. Thank you, Lord!
Photo Credit: Roma.
The food all turned out wonderful! We had plenty (we only ran out of strawberries!)
Photo Credit: Amy Cook.

Our menu was:

Pulled pork sandwiches (made by a friend-of-a-friend)
Chicken salad sandwiches (our family)
Potato salad (our family)
Cole slaw (our family)
Deviled Eggs (Kroger)
Watermelon (our family)
Potato Chips (Sam’s Club J)
Texas sheet cake (our family)
Fresh fruit (frozen peaches, strawberries, and blueberries) with homemade whipped cream (our family, and our friend’s blueberry farm)
Chocolate Chip and Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (Bought from Gordons, and baked by a friend)
Lemonade (Sam’s club)
Iced Tea (Sam’s Club)
Water bottles (Sam’s Club)
Cooler of popsicles (Sam’s Club)

Part of the dessert table.
Photo Credit: Amy Cook
With my cake, and some of the lovely decorations in the background (done by friends from church.)
Photo Credit: Amy Cook.
I am so grateful for my family!
Photo Credit: Bridget Hawley.
 As expected, my party went by far too fast. Before we knew it, 6:00 p.m. had rolled around and it was time to start cleaning up.

We had about a dozen friends who stayed late and helped us clean everything up. I don’t think we left until about 8:00 p.m. We were all pretty exhausted!
Photo Credit: Roma.
When we got back to the hotel, we all crashed in my Grandparents’ hotel room where my Abuela fixed us her homemade hot chocolate. I started opening some of my cards and gifts.
Photo Credit: Roma.

Unfortunately, I made the unwise decision of indulging in hot chocolate despite the fact that I was already stuffed from the party. Around 9:30 p.m., I started feeling terrible. I lay down and promptly fell asleep. I woke up around 10:30 p.m., brushed my teeth, and collapsed in bed for the night. I fell asleep with a heart full of gratitude to everyone who helped make my special day happen, all the wonderful memories of the party replaying in my mind. . .

To be continued . . .

No comments: