Friday, December 13, 2013

Different Kind of List

~Posted by Rubia

Every year, I try to make a Christmas list. Even if I can’t think of things I actually want, I just think of things to write down, and I tell myself it’s just so that I don’t frustrate my relatives. J Ha, okay it’s not really like that. Usually I can think of some things that I need and also write down some “wants” based on things that I enjoy or like to do.

I remember last Christmas, when for the first time I discovered how you can give through the organization, “World Vision.” That year was different for me. I made a list with a few things that I wanted, but then I added that I wanted people to help me invest in donations toward gifts from World Vision. I received some generous donations that year from people like my parents and also my Grandpa, whom I will remember this year. I was blessed by being able to give gifts like farm animals to people in countries that needed them the most.

This year, among our cherished Christmas books, I discovered a somewhat newer book that someone else in the family started last year but never finished. The title caught my attention….especially since it was part of a song that was written by the author. Can anyone guess? “Give This Christmas Away” by Matthew West. I had actually seen the book last year but didn’t read any of it until this year! In this book, the singer, or in this case, the author, gave 101 simple and thoughtful ways to “give this Christmas away.”



What does that mean--give Christmas away? To me it means a lot more than giving material gifts to others. I think it means acknowledging, by my actions, that Christmas is not about me. These simple acts in the book are ideas for acts of kindness toward others, especially because we can forget to be kind during this chaotic time of year.

Doing the simplest things in humility towards others can be really challenging even for Christians. One reason may be because sometimes, without intending to, we place ourselves in a higher position and don’t pay much attention to those whom we may consider “less spiritual” or not even “spiritual” at all. But simple acts of kindness are a good place to start. Not only that, but Jesus came to love sinners!

These ideas given by Mr. West are as simple as saying “Merry Christmas!” to a complete stranger, opening the door for another, smiling, leaving HUGE tips for the waiter at the restaurant, giving your good stuff to Goodwill, writing letters, (full length letters) and so on.

He goes on to things like sacrificing your time to help those in need (e.g. babysitting for someone) introducing yourself to a new neighbor or an old one whom you’ve avoided, forgiving others before they ask for it, inviting someone to Christmas dinner who won’t be having one otherwise, and so on.

This Christmas I am thankful for the clear opportunities that God is giving our family to bless others in many ways. We have decided that we are going to keep busy serving!!

So that is my personal challenge this year and one that I am glad to share. How will you keep yourself busy this Christmas? What if December looked different this year? What if we all just give this Christmas away?

Merry Christmas everyone!

“I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you…Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.” ~John 13:1, 17.

No comments: