Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Question of Character


My Mom and I have been reading “Raising Maidens of Virtue” by Stacy McDonald on Sunday nights during our discipling time. In the last chapter we read, we discussed having “maiden-like” character. I am learning that the way I dress, speak, treat others, and carry myself reflects on my father, my family, and my Heavenly Father. If I dress, speak, treat others, and carry myself poorly, it will reflect negatively on others involved in my upbringing. But the purpose of this book is to examine what Scripture says about young women and how we are to act in order to display the attitude of a faithful, obedient, and cheerful daughter.

One of my assignments was to ask a group of people which word best described my character: strong or tough. My Mom and I will be discussing the differences between the two, but I thought I would post the dictionary’s definition of the two:

Strong—having moral or intellectual power, not mild or weak, ardent, zealous, not easily injured or disturbed (solid), not easily subdued or taken, well established (firm beliefs).

Tough—characterized by severity or uncompromising determination, capable of enduring strain, hardship, or severe labor, very hard to influence (stubborn), unruly, rowdyish, marked by absence of softness or sentimentality.

So, for those of you who know me well, which word do you think would best describe my character? Please don’t be afraid to be honest! I really want to know!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Bianca,
Give the choice of strong or tough to describe you, I would choose strong.

You are a strong person, because you know what you believe and you choose to live by it. You are strong because you don't allow the world to sway you, yet you allow God to change you, and you choose to be sensitive to those around you.

If you were tough, you would have some of the same characteristics, but you would resist any outside influence (including God), which threatened to change you.

7 Eagles said...

Thank you for your comment, Amy! I also appreciate your observations on the difference between being "strong" and "tough." I think that as daughters our natural instinct in our dog-eat-dog society, is to be "tough" especially towards the Lord, our fathers, and God's design for Biblical Womanhood. But the Biblical examples of women would fall under the definition of "strong," "hard-working," and "keepers at home."

An excellent book on this topic that I am almost finished reading is "So Much More" by Anna Sofia and Elizabeth Botkin. The book can be purchased through Vision Forum and I HIGHLY recommend reading it! It has definitely changed my heart and views on families and Biblical Daughterhood.

Thanks again for your comment!

~Bianca