Saturday, March 5, 2011

Recipe--Blender Cornmeal Waffles

Saturdays are going to be our new “Recipe Day!” I will be posting one of our favorite family recipes each week.

The recipe this week is Blender Cornmeal Waffles. For as long as I can remember, we have had waffles every Sunday morning for breakfast. We used to buy frozen waffles, but my twin sisters have started making our own. Not only are they more tasty, but they can easily be made early in the week and frozen until Sunday when we thaw them out and toast them. They are even better fresh off the griddle with pure maple syrup!

Blender Cornmeal Waffles



1 egg
¾ cups of milk
¼ cup of vegetable oil (we may experiment with melted coconut oil)
1 cup of flour (we use half whole wheat)
2 tablespoons of cornmeal
2 teaspoons of baking powder
2 teaspoons of sugar (I think we may omit or use a natural sweetener instead. You really don’t need to sweeten waffles if you drizzle them in pure maple syrup.)
¼ teaspoon of salt

Lightly grease waffle iron, and preheat. Put all ingredients into blender container. Cover and process at a medium-high speed until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not over blend. Pour ½ a cup of batter over grids. Close waffle maker. Bake until golden. Makes 6 waffles.
(We double this and freeze in Ziploc bags.)


6 comments:

Debbie said...

Your blogs are killing my diet :-)

Technoprairie said...

What brand of wafflemaker do you have? I'm looking to buy one.

7 Eagles said...

But they're about healthy foods, Aunt Debbie! :-) Come back on Monday for a remedy/challenge to diet problems!

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

We have an old, square, Oster waffle maker, Technoprairie. It was given to my parents as a wedding gift 22 years ago and it still works great! I'm not sure if they make them like that anymore, but we've been satisfied with ours thus far.

~Bianca

Anonymous said...

Bianca, I tried the waffle recipe and we love it. I especially like the idea of incorporating wheat flour into the recipe. The kids love pancakes so I have been making them ahead of time and freezing them to use later during the week. I made the waffles on Saturday to have this week. I did add mini chocolate chips to the waffles and they were very yummy. Nancy

7 Eagles said...

I'm so glad that you enjoyed the waffles, Cousin Nancy! We have been freezing waffles and pancakes as well. It makes things easier later in the week. I have a good whole wheat pancake recipe that I posted in one of my sugar fast posts, that we enjoy a lot.

Mmmmm, I bet the waffles were good with chocolate chips! We may have to try that if we make them for a special occasion!

Thank you for your comment!

~Bianca