Monday, June 11, 2012

"The Reverend Spy" Book Review


I have been slowly working my way through a book called “The Naked Communist” by W. Cleon Skousen. It is basically an exposé on communism. I was reading the chapter on communism and World War II and I was reminded of a book Ben had read, “The Reverend Spy.” We had just been discussing the book and the Manhattan Project on the drive home from our trip to Pennsylvania. I had been wanting to read this book for awhile, and decided that now would be a good time to do so.

I started the book around 10:15 p.m. one night, and finished it the following night at 10:45 p.m. Yes, it took me just over 24 hours to finish the entire book (I would have finished sooner, but it was a Sunday and I didn’t have time to pick it up during the day.) It was very exciting and I could barely put the book down!

David P. Denton is the author of “The Reverend Spy,” but he does not claim to be the Reverend in the story. The story follows Reverend David Phillips. After the bombing of Pearl Harbor, he feels led by God to join the military to serve his country. Instead of becoming a soldier, he is recruited to become a special agent. His job was very secretive and he is known as “Twenty-One Plus” throughout the story.

Twenty-On Plus’ job is to search for Russian spies trying to find out the secrets of the atomic bomb. The book discusses the many harrowing episodes he has while catching the spies.

One of my nicknames is “Scotland Yard” because I used to be a bit obsessed with studying spy agencies, and I have a knack for finding things out. Needless to say, “The Reverend Spy” was right up my alley! J It was a bit difficult for me to read it and not want to hear more of the story. Many parts had to be left out because the information is still classified. But it is still full of amazing stories, and Twenty-One Plus always gives credit to God for His protection and guidance.

This is a book I would highly recommend for ages 13 and up, since there are some scary people/situations throughout the book. It is an exciting tale of espionage, and love of country, and I would definitely recommend reading it if you have the chance!

11 comments:

One of the Wassenbergs said...

Thanks for reviewing this book! I love stories like this, so I may have to add it to my "wish list"! :)

Kimber :)

7 Eagles said...

You're welcome, Kimber! This is definitely a book that you should add to your wish list. It was an amazing story!

~Bianca

Marty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
7 Eagles said...

Welcome to our blog, Miss Marty! I'm so glad you were able to find a copy of "The Reverend Spy." It's not an easy book to find! It is definitely a book worth re-reading!

~Bianca

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this book "The Reverend Spy" so much. Not only does it over flow with patriotism but also the love of Jesus Christ.. This book is an easy "must read" book that will stir your mind and soul.. :) ~Steve

7 Eagles said...

We're so glad that you enjoyed the book, Steve! And welcome to our blog! I definitely agree; "The Reverend Spy" is an easy "must read!"

~Bianca

Justin Stacy said...

I have been doing a lot of reading on this book and the things in the story. I also just so happen to own the house that the Reverend lived in C, or Church Hill, TN. K in the story is Kingsport TN, the explosives plant that was being spied on was Holston Army Ammunition plant. Although there has been no confirmation that David Denton was the spy, there have been stories I have found that lend some credit to the fact that he indeed was. The house that I own was the Methodist parsonage at that time (originally built in 1880) and was bought from the church in 1954 by my grand parents. When they passed away in 1999 the house was sold and the new owner made some "improvements" and drove the home into foreclosure. This is where I came in and bought the house which is now undergoing heavy renovations to make it livable for my family. My wife's favorite room is the closet under the stairs (where he stored his recording and broadcasting equipment). Just thought you would like to know what I had/have found out about the story!!!

7 Eagles said...

Wow, Justin! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this with us! How exciting that you have discovered some of that history and get to actually live in that house! :-D Thank you for coming back and sharing that with us. :-) My youngest brother hasn't read the book yet, but he's very excited to now!

~Bianca

Janice Christian Dean said...

My parents & grandparents knew Reverend David Denton. He had been to my grandparents home. I have one of the books that my Mother made notes throughout the book as she read it, about things she would recognize. I have written a book about Church Hill & the surrounding area which includes a picture of Rev. & Mrs. Denton. I am so glad to see the old house being restored. Church Hill Tn. Library has copies of the book I wrote called "In the Shadow of Holston River Mountain.

7 Eagles said...

Welcome to our blog, Janice! Thank you so much for your comment, and for sharing about your book! :-D How exciting that the home is being restored!

~Bianca

Doris West said...

Hi Justin. I currently live across just across 11W with my parents and sit with a woman named Nyrell Castle who lives just up behind Pine St. I pass your house everyday. She has been very curious about this book and the history of the house. She said when she moved here in 1962, she knew the woman who lived there. I would love the opportunity to talk with you more if you're willing.