Tuesday, June 5, 2012

"Rebel's Keep" Book Review


Photo taken from Douglas Bond’s website)

Over Memorial Day weekend, I finished reading the last book in the Crown and Covenant series, “Rebel’s Keep.” (Go here, and here to read my prior reviews on this book series.) This book was probably the most thrilling out of the trilogy, and I was able to read through it quite quickly.

“Rebel’s Keep” takes place just a few weeks after the finish of “King’s Arrow.” The Covenanters of Scotland have experienced devastating defeats from the King’s dragoons. The net is drawing closer and closer around the M’Kethe family. Their family is forced into hiding, and Bond goes into great detail describing their night-time escape.

The story takes a twist when one of the M’Kethe boys ends up being caught by the dragoons and put into prison. He has been doomed to execution. Will he be able to escape with his life? What happens to the rest of the M’Kethe family? You’ll just have to read the book to find out! J

The book had a bittersweet ending. It was sad, but one that is so true. After reading several Douglas Bond books, I still have to say that my favorite remains “Hostage Lands.” Whether it has to do with how well the book is written, or with the fact that I especially love Roman history, that book has been by far my favorite. But I can say that all of Bond’s books have given me a better understanding of history from a Christian perspective. I would highly recommend “Rebel’s Keep” and the other Bond books I’ve reviewed!

No comments: