Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Roma and Rubia's Birthday Pictures

Since we are homeschooled, we kids have never gotten “school pictures.” We always had “birthday pictures.” Normally, we would go to a photo studio. Over the years we’ve been to lots of those, like Wal-Mart, Sears, J.C. Penneys, and Olan Mills.

This year, Roma and Rubia asked if I would take their pictures instead of getting them done at a studio. They wanted to do some outdoor shots. I agreed, although I haven’t had a whole lot of experience with posed portraits. Fortunately for me, my sisters are very photogenic. J We had lots of fun during our portrait session.



Finding places on our property to stage the photos was a bit of a creative challenge. I had to make sure that there were no unsightly houses, sheds, fences, or otherwise unwanted objects in the photos.

Thankfully, at this time of year all of the foliage in the wetlands behind our house greens out and provides a lush green backdrop perfect for photos!

The other kids in the family think this photo looks like it has a studio backdrop in it. I can credit the lush green lawn to Ben! He has done a great job keeping up our landscaping this year.

Two lovely young ladies.

The twins were very good at suggesting poses to try. When I was their age, I took a photo in a studio with a similar pose. Our rose bushes were loaded with blooms, so they cut a few off for this photo.

For fun, I tried using my macro lens for a few pictures. I had no idea how it was going to turn out, but I actually liked some of them. The depth-of-field was pretty shallow and brought the subjects into better focus most of the time.

This photo was taken across the street in front of our neighbor’s pine trees.

This one was taken out in our field. We made sure to save this pose for the end of our shoot just in case their clothes got dirty on the ground.

I’m always thankful for willing subjects who don’t mind getting down in the dirt. J

One final pose.

Now for the hard part: choosing just one photo to put in the frame! Help us by voting for your favorite pose in the comments! Thanks!

18 comments:

Amy said...

So cute.

One of the Wassenbergs said...

My vote goes for the second picture! Great job on the pics, Bianca...they look great!

And happy belated birthday to the two twins!

Love in Christ,
Kimber

Leah said...

Your sisters are beautiful Bianca! I loved all the pictures. My favorite is the second picture.

Debbie said...

I vote........they are all beautiful! Buy a collage frame and display them all :D

Seriously, I like the 2nd pose. Their heads form the top and their hair the sides and point of a heart.

lang family said...

The pictures are all very beautiful.
I like the last picture and I also like the one that is credit to your brother's lawn keeping.

Carmen

7 Eagles said...

Thanks, Amy! They are cute indeed.

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

Thanks for your comment, Kimber, and your vote. I like the second shot as well! I get a lot of ideas for poses from looking at your photo sessions.

I will pass along your birthday wishes to the twins.

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

I agree Leah, I have 2 beautiful sisters! Thanks for your vote; the second shot seems to be the popular one.

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

A collage might be a good idea, Aunt Debbie. The only problems is that their frame is only a 5x7. There's not room for a whole lot of pictures!

I hadn't noticed the heart in the second picture. Thanks for pointing that out!

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

Thanks for your comment and vote, Carmen! It's going to be really hard to pick just one favorite!

~Bianca

Betsy said...

my favorite is the girls poking out from behind the tree
looks like you had fun together

7 Eagles said...

That was a fun shot to take, Betsy! We had lots of fun--and laughs--together.

~Bianca

One of the Wassenbergs said...

One of my favorites (they are all wonderful) is the second from the top. That one is my vote! :) Tell your sisters happy (?th) birthday for me!

Maybe one day we'll meet!

Joyfully His,
Alexis

7 Eagles said...

Thanks for your comment and your vote, Alexis! That one is probably one of my favorites, and it seems to have been the most popular one so far. I will tell them happy birthday for you!

I would LOVE to meet the rest of your family! That may happen sooner rather than later, as we may be taking a trip down your way in the next couple of years. We'll have to get together!

~Bianca

One of the Wassenbergs said...

That would be fun! Let me know when your trip is and I can ask my parents! :) Email would be best since I won't be looking for it on your blog. :)

Joyfully His,
Alexis

7 Eagles said...

I will definitely let you know when we make our plans, Alexis. But as I said, it probably won't be for another year or two (sadly.) But I will definitely email you when the time comes!

~Bianca

Alexis Wassenberg said...

Okay! Thanks! Why would you be coming to Virginia anyway...if you don't mind my asking? :)

Joyfully His,
Alexis

7 Eagles said...

I don't mind you asking, Alexis! In a couple of year, the twins will have their turn at the Father Daughter retreat. We were thinking that we would all drive to Georgia for the retreat, and then work our way back up the East Coast. We have relatives in Virginia, some who live less than an hour away from you!

We also just love Virginia and seeing the historical sights!

~Bianca