Thursday, July 26, 2012

Summer Food Challenge: Pomegranates


Photo Credit: Roma.

As part of our summer food challenge, Mom brought home a pomegranate from one of her grocery shopping trips. Now the first thing you should know about pomegranates is NOT to bite into one. Thankfully, we learned that before anyone in our family tried it.

We did some research online to find out how to eat/use a pomegranate. Inside a round pomegranate are about 6 sections of seeds. You slice the pomegranate into sections and then gently scrape the seeds away from the white pith. I rinsed the seeds in a colander afterward to make sure that I didn’t leave behind any of the bitter pith.

Several of us tried eating the pomegranate seeds straight up. They were different. The little seeds are crunchy with a tiny sac of red juice around them. The juice is slightly tart. We weren’t exactly sure what to do with them and did some more research online.

We were eating salad that night, so we sprinkled some on top for some crunch and flavor. I liked them much better in something than by themselves. We’ll probably look for some other ways to use them up.

*Have you ever tried pomegranates? How do you like to eat them? Please share in the comments!*

10 comments:

989cookie said...

Yes! Pomegranate is yummy! Pomegranate season is in the winter- Nov. thru Dec. (and probably beyond-?). I love that pomegranates are fresh when so many other fruits are out of season.I have enjoyed them in fruit salad, but especially in spinach salad, along with nuts and mandarin oranges (and a simple homemade dressing). I also like them plain. They are best/fully ripe when the little seed pockets are bright red. Thanks for sharing about your new foods! It's interesting to hear about what you've been trying.

Amy said...

Pomegranates are yummy! Our mutual friend Denise has a wonderful salad recipe that she serves around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Alexis Wassenberg said...

I LOVE pomegranates!! We don't get them very often though because they are expensive and seasonal (I think). I am the "pomegranate person" pretty much every time (meaning I get to take the seeds out and such). We just eat the seeds plain. They are simply.. ..indescribably delicious! ;)

Sorry that probably doesn't help you much...seeing as y'all don't seem to like them plain. May-be y'all got a bad one. ;)

I just cut mine half from the top down...you know from the little flower part...opening thing...down. :) Otherwise you cut way too many seeds! :(

I hope that helps!

Joyfully His,
Alexis

Unknown said...

Try letting them ripen a little. The one's in the picture look a little unripe. They are normally a ruby, rich red with very little white. A really good one is barely tart. The best way to eat them is raw, straight up!

Technoprairie said...

We've always eaten them on salads. They are especially good with spinach salads and a sweet dressing. Nathan and I like to eat them right out of the bowl also.

7 Eagles said...

Thanks so much for the tips, 989cookie! Several people commented that our pomegranate may not have been ripe (and they're probably out of season too.) We will have to continue experimenting with them. The salad you mentioned sounds really good!

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

Salad seems to be a common suggestion, Amy. So far that's my favorite way to eat them!

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

Thank you for your comment, Alexis! I'd be willing to try another pomegranate on the chance that we got an under-ripe one. They were just different! So far I like them inside things, just not too much by themselves. But maybe that will change!

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

I will have to try getting a ripe pomegranate, Lydia. Thanks for that tip! I wasn't really sure how to judge the ripness, but now I know! I'll have to give it another try.

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

Lots of people have recommended salads, Technoprairie. They are a nice complement to a bowl of greens. I might enjoy eating them straight up if the pomegranate was ripe. Several people said the one we had may not have been fully ripe. I'm sure we'll be buying another one to try out some of the suggestions we've received!

~Bianca