Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Haiti Day 4: Thursday

Here is the continued story on our missions trip to Haiti. . .

(July 26, 2012)

I didn’t sleep well at all last night. I couldn’t fall asleep and woke up around 3:00 a.m. pouring sweat. I kept thinking I heard people in the house, and I said weird things in my sleep.

I got up a little early to get ready. When Mr. A came up, I asked him if I could go up on the roof with him to do my personal devotions.



The twins and Dad came too. It was very peaceful. I thought a lot about the cost of discipleship after reading a portion of “Radical.” It has been a thought provoking book.

We came down and collected everyone for team devotions. More tears were shed as we shared testimonies from yesterday. I cried when I shared what I was convicted of. After devotions, we had a great breakfast of pancakes, eggs, and oatmeal. After that some people started construction while others prepped for VBS. I journaled a bit. Then we went out to start VBS.



The construction crew worked on mixing and pouring concrete, as well as gathering more fill gravel.

At VBS, Mr. B taught on David and Goliath. J translated and JC (Mr. P’s son) helped sing songs. (J and JC were two Haitian men in their 20’s that helped our team a lot with translation.)



Mr. B taught on David and Goliath. Here he gives a visual illustration for the kids.

T and J were two sweet Haitian children who were with our group all week. J told me MANY times how much he loved me. J

Then the kids went outside to play games while some of us blew up balloons and got the toys ready. Giving out the VBS things was a bit chaotic, but J and JC helped keep things under control.



We stood inside the school and handed out the balloons and toys through the windows. That way the mob was kept at bay at least a little bit. J

We had the opportunity to see our dinner face to face. The little squealing pig will be on our table tonight! J



K with “Beth” the pig.

For lunch we had soup, pigs-in-a-blanket, and amazing yucca fritters. I think I ate 6 or 7 of them. After lunch we had some down time to journal and talk. Around 3:00 p.m. we left on another walk down the mountain to buy rice.



A couple of people from our group caught a ride on a motorcycle to the rice store. I don’t know which was worse, walking or bumping along on that thing! J

Of course the little kids came with us. This time we had about 20 or 25 with us. We were able to buy 10 bags of rice!



Some of the guys chose to have the experience of carrying a 50-pound bag of rice back up the mountain to the compound. They were such troopers! The rest of the bags came up on the motorcycle.

When we got back to the house, we fed the kids and then bagged most of the rice (we saved a few bags for the missionaries and to feed to the children later in the week.) We put together and handed out 123 bags of rice to families! Praise the Lord!



Some of the rice we bagged.

I washed my hair (an interesting experience doing it with just a pitcher of water.) and did some journaling and finished reading “Radical.” It was an amazing and convicting booklet. I want to read the whole book now!



For dinner we ate Beth the pig, rice, AMAZING fresh salsa, and cole slaw. Mr. L (the missionary) was so thoughtful and bought us all Coca-Colas when he went to the city today!

Church didn’t start until 8:00 p.m. Several of us shared testimonies. God has greater plans for this mountain! I shared Psalm 126 and how the Lord is teaching me true joy. I’m going to miss these services. During church one of the little girls fell asleep on my lap. I’m going to miss these children!



The church services were all outdoors. The instruments were up on a stage with a bit of a shelter over them, and everyone else sat on benches from the school.

After church finished at 10:30 p.m., we handed out 900 glow-sticks to everyone that had come. They LOVED them!

We went back into the house and played some card games, journaled, and took showers.

At midnight we all surprised one of our team members, R, by singing “Happy Birthday” to him. We all made it to bed shortly after that. I hope I sleep better tonight than yesterday.


To be continued. . .



No comments: