Saturday, August 18, 2012

Recipe--Fresh Cornbread Salad


Several years ago, our family had the opportunity to tour the one and only Jiffy baking mix factory right here in Michigan. I’m sure many of you are familiar with Jiffy cornbread mixes! What you may not realize is how many other types of mixes they manufacture.

When we toured the factory, we received a free cookbook (that you can look at online here.) As I perused the cookbook, I found a delicious-looking recipe for fresh cornbread salad. I made it for our family, and it was a BIG hit! I love the recipe because it’s very easy to tweak the amounts, or add/omit ingredients that you may or may not have. This is great for summer potlucks and makes a lot of salad!

Fresh Cornbread Salad


1 pkg. “Jiffy” corn muffin mix
1 small head lettuce
1 cup shredded carrots
1 large tomato
1 small onion
1 red pepper
1 lb. bacon, cooked (crumbled)
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
8 oz. mayonnaise

Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare and bake cornbread as directed on package. Set aside to cool completely. Shred lettuce into a large bowl and add carrots. Finely dice tomato, onion and red pepper. Mix in with lettuce and carrots. Add cooked bacon, peas and cheese. Stir in mayonnaise and mix well. Crumble up cooled cornbread. Fold into salad, mix well. Place in refrigerator and chill. Makes 10-12 servings.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Anything with a pound of cooked bacon in it has to be good :)

7 Eagles said...

I don't know that "Interesting" would be my word of choice to describe this salad, Amy. I'd probably say something along the lines of delicious, filling, or I-want-more! :-)

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

You're probably right, Aunt Debbie! :-) Although I think we may have cut back on the bacon just a bit because it was too much for our taste. But yes, it is definitely good!

~Bianca