Saturday, October 27, 2012

Recipe--Apple Gingerbread


Last weekend we tried a new recipe that we really liked. I’ve actually had a hard time coming up with recipes for the blog lately, because we really haven’t done a whole lot of cooking (because of how often we’ve been showing our house.) But a friend posted this recipe, and I knew we had to try it.
 
This is the perfect fall recipe for cool evenings. There’s something so comforting about gingerbread! The only thing I personally would change (some of my family members were completely happy with it the way it was) is cutting the apples into bite-sized pieces and mixing it in with the batter, rather than layering large pieces on the bottom. But either way, this dessert is simple, quick, and a winner!
 
Apple Gingerbread
 

1/2 Cup brown sugar
1/2 Cup butter
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg
1 Cup molasses (I only used about half this much, since it was all we had. It still turned out good!)
1 Cup sour milk (1 cup milk with 1 Tbsp of white vinegar added to it. It will bubble and curdle, but that is what is supposed to happen. Allow to sit for a few minutes.)
2 Cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 of your favorite baking apples, peeled and cut into 8-10 slices (I used two Gala apples and an apple slicer)
Whipped Cream
 
Mix the sugar, butter, ginger, cinnamon and salt until creamy. Add 1 large egg and beat until fluffy. Add molasses and sour milk. Mix well. Add flour and baking soda and mix until combined. Grease a 9 x 9 pan. Layer the pan with the apples. Pour the cake batter over the apples. Bake at 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly; serve with a dollop of whipped cream. Makes 9 servings.
 

2 comments:

989cookie said...

Glad you enjoyed this recipe too! I used coconut oil in place of the butter in mine. My apples stuck to the bottom, so next time I might stir them into the batter instead of putting them on the bottom of the pan. Altogether- yummy fall recipe!

7 Eagles said...

Thanks so much for your notes, 989cookie! I will have to try your suggestions of coconut oil and stirring the apples into the batter (I was already thinking of trying that the next time I make this.)

~Bianca