Saturday, October 20, 2012

Recipe--Homemade Hot Cocoa

This time of year, a favorite treat at our house is hot cocoa. Once upon a time, we would stock up on boxes filled with little envelopes of cocoa mix. But then we realized how easy it was to make our own, and we haven’t gone back!
 
I will have to warn you that this hot cocoa recipe is not as sweet as what you will find in an envelope. In fact, it took a little bit of getting used to on our part. But in the end, it’s cheaper than the store-bought stuff, and probably healthier since you can regulate the amount of sugar in it. I actually like the fact that I don’t feel like I’m drinking dessert in a cup every time I have a cup of cocoa!
 
One of my favorite afternoon snacks is a slice of cheddar cheese dipped in a cup of hot cocoa, and a serving of popcorn on the side. Alright, maybe you’ll just think I’m weird and I should stop because I really do want you to try this cocoa! J It really is good! The rest of the family always calls on me to make their hot cocoa for them. I’m sort of the in-house barista in our family!
 
One last confession: all the measurements are approximate. I actually don’t measure when I make it, which is why I’ve included photos for you to see the amounts I’m using.
 
Homemade Hot Cocoa
 

1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon sugar
3 Tablespoons cream
1 cup milk



Measure the unsweetened cocoa into the bottom of your mug.

Measure in the sugar. (I personally prefer to use honey in my hot cocoa. It gives it a slightly different flavor, but I like it!)

Swirl the two together.

Add in the cream. (We use heavy whipping cream, but you can use half-and-half, or just regular milk. But the cream gives it a little extra richness!)

Mix it all together well. (If you’re using honey, it will be more of a dark paste.)

Add in the milk and give it all a good stir.

Microwave on high for 1 minute.

Give it a good stir, and then microwave it for 30 more seconds.

Stir again, while ignoring the unsightly cocoa spill on the counter (that’s where I laid the spoon in between stirs.) Microwave 30 seconds more.

And there you have it! Delicious, homemade hot cocoa complete with foam on the top just like the big coffee houses. Enjoy!

No comments: