Saturday, April 20, 2013

My Grandma



~Posted by Rubia (tribute written to share at the funeral)

My last words to Grandma ~ February 2013

Dear Grandma,

This letter is difficult for me to write. Mainly because these are my last words to you. Your passing was so soon after Grandpa’s, but it was all in the Lord’s timing. When I was little, my Dad used to tell me that it was important that I cherish every given moment that I had with you. So even though you are now gone, I am so grateful for all the sweet memories of visiting you at your home in the Old Orchard neighborhood, and at the nursing home, where you spent the last year of your life. I will miss your southern hospitality, your warm hugs, seeing you sitting at the other end of the table winking at me or twitching your nose at me, having you tickle me every time I tried to stretch my arms. J I will miss your sparkling blue eyes, and talking with you out on the back porch while watching the birds. I will miss the times that our whole family went out to the Bavarian Inn, or went to the Waldameer park. I will miss everything about you and all that I used to do with you.

To be honest, Grandma, growing up I wasn’t always so sure whether you really knew the Lord. But I had talked with my parents, and now I know for sure that you really are a child of God and that now you are with Him forever. And you are with Grandpa. I was pleased to see your Bible at the house quite well marked, and also a Bible in your room at the nursing home that I believe you had been reading while you were still able.

Grandma, I want to tell you that I am honored to have been named after you. And I appreciate your example that you set for us all. I love you so much. You and Grandpa were the best Grandparents that I could ever hope to have.

I am grateful for the blessed hope that I have in Jesus. Because of Him, I will see you and Grandpa again someday. I am so looking forward to that day, when we are all reunited to Christ because we accepted the gift of salvation that He has given us. I can’t imagine how happy and free you must be at this moment.

I love you, Grandma. Until we meet again.

No comments: