Thursday, April 18, 2013

Trip to Dallas

This past Sunday morning found us all up bright and early to make sure we left for church on time (it always takes a little longer with more people.) We were so excited to bring my Grandparents to our new church and introduce them to all our friends there. They really loved it!
 
But we only stayed for one service, because we had a special day planned to celebrate my Grandparents 51st wedding anniversary. We went home, ate a quick lunch, and then started driving towards Dallas.
 
We were going to visit Southfork Ranch! When my Mom and Dad were dating, they used to have “Dallas and Donut” nights. Every Friday night, they would all get together at my Grandparents’ house with good donuts and watch the TV show “Dallas” which was partially filmed at Southfork Ranch (we learned that all the outdoor scenes were shot there, but they had a soundstage to film the interior scenes.) While they wouldn’t watch the show anymore, it was still fun to go and see the beautiful ranch!


I loved the tree-lined driveway!
When we arrived, we went into the main entry building which had a gift shop and small museum in it. We browsed a bit while we waited for our guided tour to start.


We all climbed aboard the little tractor-train to ride over to the mansion. On our way, the driver talked about the grounds a bit.
The back of the mansion.
When we arrived at the mansion, we went inside what used to be the garage. The tour guide gave us a brief history of the mansion and the TV show, and told us about some of the things we would see inside the house.
 
The house was beautiful! I loved the back porch/patio/pool area.
 
The dining room in the mansion. I wish our table was this big!
My siblings and me with my Grandparents in front of the mansion.
Mom and Dad with Abuela and Abuelo.
After touring the house, we walked over the grounds and viewed some of the livestock. Now that there is a bull I wouldn’t want to mess with! J
Daddy in front of the Lincoln that used to be on the show.

We stopped in the gift store again on our way out (some folks in the family love to shop. I am not one of them. J) We were getting hungry, and everyone was looking forward to the dinner we had planned . . .


We went to Pappasitos in Dallas! We had gone to a Pappasitos in Houston the week prior, and decided that it was the best Mexican food we’ve had outside of Mexico (and several of us have actually been, just so you know. J) My Grandparents heartily agreed, and we had a fabulous meal.
 
Since it was their anniversary, our waiter had my Grandparents stand up and he announced to the whole restaurant that we were celebrating. J I hope that one day I’ll be able to say I was married as long as they have been!
Since it was a special day, we had to get some dessert. Dad and I split this ice cream with sopapillas dessert.
We got home pretty late, but we had to give my Grandparents their card and gift (a limestone cross with a stand.) We had such a good day celebrating a wonderful marriage!

2 comments:

Technoprairie said...

Joe and I loved Pappasidos! I used to get the bacon wrapped shrimp when I was down in Houston working for Dow.

7 Eagles said...

If you and Mr. Joe love Pappasitos, Technoprairie, then it must be good quality cuisine! :-) I will have to look and see if they still have bacon wrapped shrimp on the menu. So far I have only had the fajitas. I should really branch out!

~Bianca