Monday, January 6, 2014

Christmas in Ohio, Part 3


~Wednesday, December 25~

Christmas day had finally arrived for us! Most of us slept in, because we had planned to have our Christmas celebration later in the day when my Uncle and his family came over.

For breakfast, my Abuela made Mazamora! It’s a delicious, sweet breakfast porridge made with cornmeal.
That afternoon, we set the table all fancy in preparation for our Christmas “linner” (our lunch and dinner, served around 3 o’clock in the afternoon. J) I love Abuela’s Christmas dishes!
When my Uncle and his family arrived, we dug into the Puerto Rican feast! We had pasteles, mofongo, pork, arroz con gandules, avocado slices, bread with butter, fruit, a cheese ball with crackers, homemade punch, and coffee!
We had a smorgasbord for dessert! This is only a sampling, really. Abuela made casuela, brownies, Russian tea cakes, and served coconut candy that they bought on their recent trip to Puerto Rico. We also brought leftovers from our Christmas desserts.
Then it was time to open up the gifts! It always turns into a loud and happy chaos. J
I hope I never have to have Christmas without at least one little kid. J Their joy is unmatched!
After we opened our gifts, everyone sat around, examining/playing with/using new gifts, talking, and watching funny youtube videos on the iPad. It was such a fun day!

~Thursday, December 26~

Thursday morning, after breakfast, we all piled into the car and drove off to meet my Aunt and two cousins at the mall. We were going to the movie theater to see “Frozen!” I had heard so much about the movie, but wasn’t expecting a whole lot out of a Disney animated film. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it! The movie has a well-written plot, strong antagonist and protagonist characters, conflict, humor, romance, and excellent music! I would definitely recommend it!

After our movie, we went home for a couple of hours to relax, and then cleaned up and dressed up for dinner. One of Abuela and Abuelo’s Christmas gifts to all of us was dinner at a fancy restaurant!

This restaurant is decorated with WWII aircraft paraphernalia. There are pictures of pilots, models of bomber planes, and best of all, the restaurant overlooks the airport!

The kiddos’ end of the table. J
Rubia and I, with the airport in the background.
I had pork roast with vegetables and mashed potatoes for dinner. It was SO good!
Dessert was absolutely decadent! So decadent, I couldn’t finish it. I had the Godiva chocolate cheesecake. Talk about death by chocolate! J
Outside, in front of one of the large models and the airport in the background.
It was hard to believe our week in Ohio was almost over! We were having such a fun time with family!

To be continued . . .


2 comments:

Kimber Scotland said...

"Frozen" is a great movie! Though I don't always agree with the words in some Disney songs they are always fun to sing! The music was definitely beautiful in this movie! :) "Frozen" is a Disney movie I look forward to watching again!

Have a blessed day!

~Alexis

7 Eagles said...

I definitely agree with your comment, Alexis! I would love to go see "Frozen" again sometime.

~Bianca