Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Ben's Rite of Passage Part 2

*Thanks go to my Uncle for being the official photographer for the Rite of Passage! Most of the pictures in this post were taken by him.*

(posted by Ben)

First, I would like to explain what a Rite of Passage is. It is a Christian event to celebrate a young child’s passage from childhood onto the path that leads to Biblical adulthood. During this event, several Christian adults who have been an encouragement to the candidate in his walk with the Lord make a commitment to mentor him through his journey into Biblical adulthood. All rite of passages are a little different depending on the beliefs of the family and the candidate. My older sister Bianca had a rite of passage into womanhood several years ago; now it was my turn! J This was the first manhood rite of passage we have done, so it was quite a new experience for everybody! I will now give you a basic overview of what the ceremony looked like.



Unlike my sister’s rite of passage, mine was not a surprise. I knew that it was coming up, but I did not know details! The picture above is at the start of the ceremony. All my attending mentors have gathered and the ceremony is underway!

Our family attempts to make every life event a discipleship opportunity. In the picture above, my father gives a PowerPoint presentation explaining what is a Rite of Passage, why we do them, and what the Biblical man looks like.

Here I am with one of my mentors, my troop scoutmaster, Mr. M.

Before this day came, I had been working on writing out my spiritual testimony, which explains how I became a Christian and how God has worked in my life. The picture above is of me reading my testimony to my mentors.

Giving my testimony presentation.

My beloved Abuelo reading the letter of encouragement he wrote to me. My grandfather and I are both “history geeks.” J He gave a fascinating presentation on the meaning and history of the name Benjamin.

My mother created a book for me with some pictures of my journey from childhood to present day. I really appreciate this gift and will keep it as a remembrance of this day!

My Uncle and mentor J, reading his encouragement letter to me.

My parents bought me a new Bible called “The Reformation Study Bible.” It is an English Standard Version Bible edited by famed theologian R.C. Sproul!

My father gave me seven Biblical challenges, along with gifts to remember them. My 7th challenge was the spiritual battle that lies ahead of me. My father encouraged me to put on the full armor of God in preparation to wage war with the devil! He presented me with the symbolic gift of a sword to remember this challenge.

There was a time of input, when people could give comments, present their gifts, read their letters, or simply say a few encouraging words. In the picture above, my friend and mentor, Mr. F. presents me with his gift. He gave me a set of tools, to remind me of a real man’s work ethic and preparedness.

My mentors then prayed over me, that God would bless me, protect me, prepare me, guide me and use me.

A picture of some of my mentors, as well as two “knights in training!”

Come back tomorrow to hear about the fellowship dinner that followed the ceremony!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Ben- It is exciting to see a young man preparing to serve God with his life. God will use you mightily. Our world needs Christian men who are ready to fight the battle!

7 Eagles said...

Thank you for the encouragement, Amy! I'm excited to see the plans God has for my future unfold.

~Ben