Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Going to the Orchard!

One of our family’s favorite traditions is visiting a local apple orchard. This is the third year in a row that we have gone, and we have so many good memories from each year. We visited the orchard yesterday, and I thought you would all enjoy a peek into our day there!


We started out by going to the U-Pick orchard to select our bushel of apples. We picked a variety including Mutsu, Ida Red, Jonagold, and Melrose.

The Michigan crop is huge this year, especially when compared to last year’s harvest. In fact, at this same time last year we picked our apples from bins because they were the last ones of their kind! But as you can see from the picture above, apple production is up this year!

Roma bringing a handful of apples to the bags.

Rubia juggling some of the apples.

This year, we decided to try the corn maze across the street from the orchard. We began with the easy maze since we hadn’t done one in awhile.

Rubia and Ben took off right away to try to beat the rest of us. I thought it was funny that they are both on the same foot in this picture.

Roma and I were the victors of the corn maze. We went to the observation deck to watch for the rest of the family. Can you find them in this picture?

I love the look of dried corn stalks as far as the eye can see! This photo was taken during our exploration of the more difficult corn maze. It was quite tricky!

“I think we’re lost.” J

Yes! Finally, the welcome exit sign. The other kids had beat Roma, Mom and I this time. I suppose it’s fair that each team won once.

As our reward for finishing both mazes in less than an hour, we received free cider and a donut! This orchard makes the best donuts I believe I have ever had. I enjoyed a cinnamon sugar donut with a cider slushy.

Roma enjoying her hot apple cider and pumpkin cinnamon donut.

After our treat, we looked around the store and purchased some things to take home. Then we went outdoors to the animal pens. A new attraction this year was a live bee hive display.

Bees are so fascinating to watch!

The horse seemed to especially love Rubia! She dreams of owning a horse someday in the future.

Next we played on the playground! Here, Ruby comes down the big slide.

Ben enjoyed being King of the Hill.

Sitting on the old John Deere tractor.

The younger kids tried to bury Ruby in the corn bin. It can be quite messy!

Later on, I enjoyed a delicious caramel nut apple. To be honest, I don’t believe that I had ever had one before going to the orchard. It was very good!

Our day was completed by a photo in the pumpkin display. We had a great time and look forward to going back next year!

6 comments:

Amy said...

Fun!

Sarah said...

That looks like it would have been so much fun! I enjoyed seeing all of the the photos . . . and how neat that you were able to see an observation beehive. Bees are indeed fascinating!

Glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy this fun outing!

Debbie said...

You all look like you had a great time!! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us :-)

7 Eagles said...

It was very fun, Amy! We enjoyed it very much!

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

We indeed had lots of fun, Sarah! And I'm glad that you enjoyed the photos. And yes, watching bees is very fascinating. Unfortunately, I can be a little nervous sometimes when I'm around bees because I've been stung a few too many times. But they're still fun to watch!

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

We did have a great time, Aunt Debbie! And I'm glad that you enjoy reading about our "adventures!" :-)

~Bianca