Wednesday, October 26, 2011

That's A Wrap!


The end of gardening season has arrived here in Michigan. It’s a good thing too because I hadn’t visited my garden in almost a month (Oops!) Once school starts, trying to get out in my garden daily is a difficult effort. While I love gardening, I am now ready to be done and put things away for the year.



On Monday I went out and picked everything left in the garden, dead, alive, or unripe. This included the dead zinnia heads which I will save for seed; lettuce, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, and all three types of tomatoes. Plus all of my herbs which are not pictured.

Everything got a good rinse in the sink plus I sorted out what wasn’t worth keeping. Here’s our sink full of catnip.

And here’s all of the vegetables.

I know the angle on this picture is strange, but I was trying to capture everything in the picture. From left to right: Bell and Jalapeno peppers, Early Girl tomatoes, lettuce (underneath the tomatoes), Chocolate cherry and Sweet 100 tomatoes, sweet mint (in front of tomatoes), oregano, parsley, catnip, and chocolate mint (bottom left of photo.) You can also see my rosemary plant which I am going to try keeping inside over the winter. We will see how it works out.

I weighed all the produce and recorded it in my garden log. The herbs were washed and hung to dry.

A bowl of tomatoes and peppers waiting to be used or to ripen.

Beautiful Bell peppers.

Now all that’s left to do is pull the dead plants out of the garden, put away the trellises, and compost (lasagna garden.) I’m sure there will be a post about that in the future!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Isn't it fun bringing in the last of the produce, and putting the garden to bed? Another gardening season finished, and now we can look forward to and plan for the next one. :) Enjoy your produce!

7 Eagles said...

It is a good feeling to be done with the garden, Sarah! I'm ready for a break and to turn my focus to other projects.

~Bianca

Technoprairie said...

Bianca, you can put any winter vegetable, fruit, coffee grounds, or egg shells in your garden. Then in the spring, you can work them into the soil. You can also put leaves into the garden as well. Anything organic will help enrich your soil.

7 Eagles said...

Thanks for the tip, Technoprairie! We have done this for several years now, and it works quite nicely. In fact, we're saving egg shells, coffee grounds, and fruit peelings right now to put in the garden. I've read a lot of good things about composting!

~Bianca