Sunday, October 30, 2011

Transformation


Long ago, before I knew the Lord, I blended in well with all the others like me. On the outside, I looked normal, healthy, even attractive. But inside, there was a different view.



Deep in my heart, there was darkness; empty places; slime encircling seeds void of life, for they had not yet died to self.

But the One who loved me enough to die for me saw beyond the sadness, and heard the silent, desperate pleas. He set out to fashion me, bit by bit, into the wonder He had always intended. This will hurt, but I will be with you, He said. And He picked up His tools, and pierced through the façade, all the way down to the deepest, darkest recesses of my heart.


My soul cried out in pain, as His practiced hands scraped away all that clung to its walls. Lovingly yet firmly, He worked away, and bit by bit, all that displeased Him was removed, and I could breathe.


But He wasn’t finished yet…


There was more work to be done…more chiseling, shaping, and molding. Sometimes His cuts went deep into my flesh, and again I cried. I will never leave you nor forsake you, He whispered.

And as He worked, a song began to grow inside me. A song that radiated from the very throne of God; sung since the beginning, when the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy! The song grew, and filled me with new life, and in spite of my flaws and imperfections, His love shone through.






Thereafter, when darkness surrounded me, I had no fear. His love and His goodness were always inside me, just as He promised. His presence lit up the darkness, and banished it.



‘Though I’m still a work in progress, I rejoice in the transformation He has wrought. The pain had a purpose, and the losses birthed life.


(Inspired by “The Pumpkin Patch Parable” by Liz Curtis Higgs)

(posted by Betsy)

2 comments:

Betsy said...

what a wonderful change!

7 Eagles said...

Thank you, Betsy. God's work in our lives is indeed wonderful!

~ Betsy