Saturday, October 29, 2011

Recipe--Chili


One of our favorite dinners on a cold winter night is hot chili with cornbread. It just warms you from the inside out! Below is our simple, yet tasty recipe which came originally from the Tightwad Gazette, ‘though we’ve modified it a bit to suit our tastes. We hope you enjoy it!

Chili


1 lb ground beef
1 cup chopped onions (or ½ cup dried minced)
1 can of chopped green chilies
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
3-15 oz. cans undrained beans (kidney, great northern, black), or the equivalent amount of cooked dried beans, and some extra water)
1 tablespoon chili powder
¾ cups water
Shredded cheddar cheese

In large dutch oven or pot, brown the beef; drain excess fat. Add remaining ingredients (except cheese), cover and simmer, for one hour, stirring occasionally. Spoon into individual bowls, top with cheddar cheese, and serve with cornbread. Serves 8.

4 comments:

Technoprairie said...

We had chili tonight too! I put cumin in as well as the chili powder. A way to punch up your chili is to bloom your spices. So I heat up some oil, saute my cumin and chili powder for about a minute, then put in my garlic, stir for another 30 seconds, then put in my onions and green peppers. Finally I put in my meat and brown it, then the tomatoes and beans.

I've been using venison so I don't have to drain any fat away. I guess if you needed to drain meat, you should probably brown the meat in another pan and then add it to your chili.

Debbie said...

Yum....we'll have to give this recipe a try. To be even a bigger tightwad serve the chilli over rice to stretch the number of servings. The rice also helps reduce the production of gas....:)

7 Eagles said...

I had never heard about "blooming" spices before, Technoprairie. We will have to try that in the future. Enjoy your venison! Thinking about it is putting me in the mood for summer sausage. Yum!

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

That is a good idea, Aunt Debbie! To be frugal and *ahem* more healthy. :-)

~Bianca