Monday, October 31, 2011

Ben's Testimony

As part of his Rite of Passage Ceremony, Ben shared his spiritual testimony. We thought you all might enjoy reading it. Below is what he wrote and shared:


Ben reading his testimony to his mentors.

My name is Ben. I invited Christ into my heart on December 23, 2001 with the assistance of my mother. I can’t precisely remember what inspired this decision; quite possibly the fact that my older sister, Bianca, had became a Christian just four days before. My Dad, my mom, and my older sister were all going to heaven and I was not about to be left out of the party! So I asked my mother to pray with me and I became a Christian. If one were to ask what impact that had on my life then and there, my answer would be quite simple: as much impact as that could have on my young heart and mind. To me that simply meant that I was “heaven bound.” And not much more. I was blessed to be placed in a Christian home with Christian values. I was taken to church on a weekly basis, was taught many stories from the Bible, and scripture memorization was implanted into my mind. Over the years, I continued to mature in Christ, and by age nine I was spending time in His Word on a daily basis.

Around the age of ten, I was thinking about the commitment I had made to Christ earlier. I began to evaluate my reasons for becoming a Christian, and realized that I really didn’t understand the seriousness of becoming a Christian. How can one understand that at such a young age? So I re-committed my life to Christ, with a new understanding. Shortly thereafter, I obeyed the Lord in baptism.

Near the end of that year, my father in agreement with my mother made a decision based on Biblical principles to “move on” from the church we were at. We searched for a new church for some time and were told by some friends about one that sounded promising. We decided to visit this church; we enjoyed the passionate worship and were impressed by the teaching, and made the decision to join. Our family has had some neat opportunities to serve here. My father has been a Sunday School teacher and is currently serving as one of the deacons. And I had the opportunity to participate with my dad and others on a missions trip to the Bahamas. This church has meant a lot to my family and me.

Many things have been an inspiration and influence in helping me grow in my walk with Christ. Definitely the single most influential thing in my journey with Christ has been reading the Bible on a daily basis, and spending time with God in prayer. I will now discuss five different areas where the Lord has worked in and through my life.

In Literature

Literature is the oldest form of communicating ideas to a vast group of people. It was God’s chosen way of communicating His word to us through the printing of the Bible. The Bible is the book I have found most influential in my life. 2 Timothy 3:16 states: “All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.” The Bible has been useful in all these areas of my life.

In Music

Music was created for the worship of God. There are many songs whose lyrics and doctrine have really encouraged and empowered me. Some of these are; “Amazing Grace” by John Newton, “How Great Thou Art” by Carl Gustaf Boberg, and “Leaning on the Everlasting Arms” by Elisha A. Hoffman and Anthony J. Show alter. Some contemporary songs that I like are; “Shout to the Lord” by Hillsong United, “Great is the Lord” when sang by the Promise Keepers, “Only You Can Save” by Chris Sligh, and “Courageous” by Casting Crowns.

In Opportunity

One of the greatest opportunities I have had as a Christian was the Bahamas mission’s trip I took with my dad and some others from our church. It was the best opportunity I have had to share the gospel with unbelievers, and it was a time of spiritual growth, discipleship, evangelism, learning, worship and godly fellowship. Another great opportunity the Lord has granted me was participating in a Christian men’s conference in the company of my father this past summer. The event was hosted by a Christian men’s fellowship group called the Promise Keepers. Here I learned more about seven Biblical promises that relate to marriage, discipleship, purity, biblical unity and evangelism.

In Scripture

I am now reading the Bible on a daily basis as I attempt to read it all the way through. I believe every Christian who studies the Bible regularly has a favorite verse. I cannot single out just one, as I have several. Some of my favorite verses are:

Philippians 3:14:

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” (NKJV)

Romans 12:1-2

“Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your true and proper worship. Do not be conformed to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will.” (NIV)

Matthew 28:19-20

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I will be with you always, to the very end of the age.” (NIV)

Joshua 24:15

“But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD. (NIV)

Through His servants

There have been many people who have been a spiritual inspiration in my life, both living and deceased. The two most influential living ones are my parents. They have mentored me, encouraged me, and loved and provided for me. Others who have been a great help and encouragement to me are my pastor; the ministry of Mr. Douglas Phillips (Vision Forum); all of our church youth leaders, my grandfathers and other relatives, and essentially everyone who is here at my Rite of Passage today has been an inspiration, encouragement, and influence in my life.

Some historical figures who I study and find inspiration in are the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.; great reformers like John Calvin and Martin Luther; and famed missionaries like Nate Saint, William Carey, and Bruce Olson (Bruce Olson is still in active ministry). I have also studied and have been inspired by the famed evangelist the Rev. Billy Graham who is still alive but no longer serving in public ministry.

The Lord has done a lot in my life as a Christian. He has used many people and events to accomplish His will for me. He continues to work on my heart and mind, molding me into who He created me to be. I will continue to seek his face and do His will!

I finish with the Latin words that end many of my formal written documents: Soli Deo Gloria! “To God Alone be the Glory.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben, I am proud to have you as my son!!

Love,
Dad

7 Eagles said...

Thank you, Daddy! I'm blessed to have a Dad like you!

~Ben