Saturday, February 25, 2012

Recipe--Quick Cinnamon Rolls (from scratch!)


A few days ago, I promised you our cinnamon roll recipe. Several years ago, I was looking for something special to make for Mom’s birthday breakfast. I stumbled across this recipe and could not believe how easy they were. I don’t claim Cinnabon® greatness, but these are still delicious! J And they don’t require any rising time!

Quick Cinnamon Rolls (from scratch!)


Dough:
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups water

Cinnamon Filling:
1/2 cup butter, softened (yes, more!)
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

Frosting:
1.5 cups confectioners' sugar
4 oz cream cheese
3 T. softened butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp milk or water

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in 1/2 cup butter or margarine until crumbly. Make a well in center, and pour in water a little bit at a time. Stir to form soft dough, adding more water if needed. Add the water slowly, so that it doesn’t get too sticky.

Turn dough out on lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (4-6 minutes.) Roll dough into rectangle about 1/3 inch thick and 18 inches long. Spread the cinnamon mixture over dough rectangle. Roll up as for jelly roll. Mark first, then cut into 24 slices.

Place cut side down on parchment paper on a jellyroll pan. (Or in my case, a greased round cake pan.)
Photo Credit: Roma.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

To make icing, blend together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk or water until light and fluffy, adding more liquid if necessary. Frost cinnamon rolls while warm. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Leah said...

Cinnamon rolls is one of my favourite desserts but expensive to buy! Usually, I have to wait to buy them when they're on sale.

This recipe doesn't look too hard too make and recognized most of the ingredients and the only thing to buy special item is the cream cheese which works for me since cheese is my #1 favourite food. The only thing I will be nervous about is the kneading, cutting and rolling. Maybe I will give them a try to make someday. Thank you for sharing the receipe with us!

7 Eagles said...

You're right Leah, cinnamon rolls can be expensive to buy. It's probably because they are made with such rich ingredients!

I hope you are able to try making your own cinnamon rolls! It's not as hard as most people think. I think the bonus tips I could give you on cutting and rolling would be these: flour the surface you are rolling on so that the dough doesn't stick, and try using dental floss to cut the rolls if your knife isn't sharp enough. After that, enjoy! :-)

~Bianca

Anonymous said...

Stacy made these for breakfast today. Very good. I think I have to make an extra trip to the gym now however.

After seeing how many she made I could tell they came from your family. :)

- Pastor Randy

7 Eagles said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed the cinnamon rolls, Pastor Randy! Yes, unfortunately these probably call for an extra trip to the gym! :-)

This recipe does make a lot! It's probably a good recipe to cut in half and have just enough for everyone to have one or two. Less calories that way! :-)

~Bianca

Unknown said...

I was keeping my eye out for a yeast-free pizza crust recipe, since I am currently intolerant to yeast. When I saw the word "quick" I instantly thought "quick= no rising time= no yeast!!" So I followed the recipe for the dough, but rolled it out into a pizza crust instead of cinnamon rolls. It turned out FABULOUS (and in my opinion even better than the rest of the family's yeast crust). I am so pleased with this recipe. In fact, next time I think I will take it a step further by substituting pizza ingredients for the cinnamon mixture, and swirl it up cinnamon roll- style :) Thanks so much for sharing.

7 Eagles said...

I'm sorry that you're yeast intolerant, Lydia. I never would have thought to use the dough from this recipe for pizza, but I'm glad that it worked for you! I like the idea of making pizza roll-ups!

~Bianca

Nosizwe Martin said...

Just made these, a first for me as I usually make them from a yeast base. These are lovely! I did use milk, tho instead of water, as I think it gives a softer dough. Also, instead of the frosting in the recipe, I made a glaze from boiling sugar and water, which I brushed over the fresh-out-of-the-oven rolls, waited till they cooled a bit more, then drizzled a cinammon frosting (icing sugar, cinammon, water mixed to a paste-like consistency) over the rolls, then let it set about 5 mins before devouring them. Yum!!

7 Eagles said...

Thank you for your comment, Nosizwe! I'm so glad you enjoyed the cinnamon rolls! Thanks for sharing your variations; I always enjoy trying a different spin on a recipe!

~Bianca