Friday, February 24, 2012

Friday Flashbacks: Dancing


Dancing as a Gingerbread child in “The Nutcracker.”

Since I was young, I have always loved dancing. I have flashbacks of listening to tapes in the living room, over and over again while I danced to them. I was later accompanied by the twins who marched in circles around the room--thumbs stuck in their mouths--in time to the music.


A sailor in “American Salute.”

From the time I was 7, I danced in a ballet studio. I loved participating in the big productions at the end of the year with all the dancers. I felt so proud during the years when I did two dances instead of just one.


Dancing in the “Oklahoma” dance as part of the “Salute to Broadway” production.

When we moved, I looked around for a dance studio for awhile. I couldn’t find one that I liked very much, and when I did, it was too far. So I moved on to other things.


Me, as a sea anemone and Ben dressed up to be in “Alice in Wonderland.”

But that desire to dance was still there. My Mom mentioned the possibility of doing worship dance. I thought about it for awhile, but had a bit of a struggle deciding. I really enjoyed the ballets and wanted to be in a professional studio.


Dancing in “Starkindler” after joining worship dance.

But over time, the Lord helped me realize that everything I do needs to bring Him honor and glory. While dancing with a ballet studio wasn’t a bad thing, it may not have been the best thing. As I look back now, I would have eventually had to partner dance, and wear costumes that were not the most modest. The Lord has brought about convictions in my life regarding my purity as a young lady, and dancing in that way would have violated those convictions.



When we joined our current worship dance troupe, it took awhile to get used to dancing after so many years off. But I was thrilled to find that our teacher’s main style of dancing is ballet, with which I was already familiar.


Dancing in “Manger Throne” at our church’s annual Ladies Christmas tea.

The Lord has brought me such joy over the past year through worship dance. Please understand that I don’t have anything against ballet or non-Christian dance studios. I am simply grateful for the opportunity God has given me to use dancing for His glory and not my own.



“Let them praise his name with dancing. . .” Psalm 149:3

“Praise him with tambourine and dancing. . .” Psalm 150:4

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”
1 Corinthians 10:31

4 comments:

Leah said...

I loved Friday Flashbacks. This dancing post and hair cuts post are my favourites are so far.

I'm so glad that God provided you to join a worship dance and that you & your sisters love it. I can't wait to see you girls dance in heaven someday!

Betsy said...

I like how you composed this piece. I especially enjoyed reading about your sisters following around with thumbs in their mouths. We younger girls used to follow our big sister in living room dances. We have some silly pictures!

7 Eagles said...

Thank you for your comment, Leah! I'm glad that you have been enjoying our Friday Flashback posts! I've had fun looking through old pictures to feature.

We too, are so glad to have this opportunity to be involved in worship dance! I am anxious as well to one day dance in praise before the throne of God!

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

Thank you for your sweet comment, Betsy! I'm glad that you enjoyed the post. I wish we had more pictures of the twins' thumb-dance! We could have compared our pictures! But I will always have a mental image of them stomping about with their thumbs in their mouths!

~Bianca