Tuesday, May 22, 2012

"King's Arrow" Book Review


A couple of weeks ago, I finished reading “King’s Arrow,” the second book in the “Crown and Covenant” series by Douglas Bond. I believe this book was even better than “Duncan’s War,” the first book of the series (read my review on that book here.) “King’s Arrow” centers around Duncan’s younger brother, Angus. Duncan is married with children in this book, and Angus is now 14 years old and quickly becoming a young man. The story of the M’Kethe family continues from the perspective of young Angus.

Since the time of “Duncan’s War” a lot has happened in Scotland. In 1670 attendance at field meetings was made a treasonable offense. Those who preached at these meetings were punished with death. The book takes place in 1679. The Scottish people continue to be persecuted and hunted down by the King’s dragoons, and terrorized by the Highlanders. The Covenanting men fear for the lives of their wives and children.

One day the M’Kethe family is at a field meeting when bloody Claverhouse and his dragoons descend on their meeting. The Covenanters brace themselves for the climactic battle at Drumclog.

This was a very good book filled with exciting battles which kept me turning the pages quite rapidly! I would highly recommend this book because it shows the strong faith of the Covenanters and gives inspiration to Christians today to remain firm in the faith despite persecution!

4 comments:

One of the Wassenbergs said...

I finished "Duncan's War" and am now speeding my way (once again) through "King's Arrow"! These books are fun to read out loud and practice your Scottish accent on! :) Wonderful books!

Joyfully His,
Alexis

7 Eagles said...

That's great that you're reading the Crown and Covenant books again, Alexis. They must be good! :-) It is fun to practice a Scottish accent while reading the books! Although I'm not very good at it. A British accent is easier for me to mimic!

~Bianca

One of the Wassenbergs said...

I just finished the last book in the series- "Rebel's Keep"! I guess you can say not all books have a happy ending! :)

Joyfully His,
Alexis

PS- And yes I am enjoyed them very much!

7 Eagles said...

Wow, you're a fast reader, Alexis! Oh dear, the story doesn't have a happy ending? I'm on chapter 29 and it's starting to look bad for the M'Kethes. I'll just have to keep reading and find out what happens.

~Bianca