Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Harvest Party With Friends

This past Sunday we enjoyed a harvest party at a friend’s house! We always enjoy getting together with their family, and the party was no exception!


The evening started with an apple pie baking contest. Here, the family watches the judging taking place.

The three judges testing the pies. Before the judging began, each pie baker filled out a questionnaire about their pies, answering questions like ingredients, whether or not the pie was made from scratch, why the baker thought the pie was unique, etc. When each pie came out, the answers to the questions were read.

While the judges deliberated on their decisions, we all enjoyed a potluck dinner of soups and salads. They were all so good and just perfect on a crisp fall night. The kids also bobbed for apples outside. I passed on that opportunity since I’m prone to nasty sinus infections, and dunking my head in ice cold water would encourage such an infection. Either that, or it would have completely cleaned out my sinuses! J

The verdict finally came in on the pies. There were several honorable mentions, and then the top 3 were announced. I was pleasantly surprised to find the pie I had baked came in second place! It was a Caramel Pecan Apple Pie, and was actually the first apple pie I have ever made. I will have to post the recipe soon!



All of the delicious pies! There were deep dish apple pies, salted caramel apple pies, French apple and cream cheese pie, and a pie with an apple and pi symbol on it.

After enjoying pie and chatting for awhile some of the kids and a few young adults went outside to enjoy a bonfire, the trampoline, and a game of Capture the Flag in the dark. It was a lot of fun and we enjoyed the wonderful fellowship with other Christian friends!

4 comments:

Amy said...

That sounds like such fun. We may have to have a pie contest.

Anonymous said...

Second place is great!! Since Daddy is in China, you will have to make one when I come home.

Love you,
Dad

7 Eagles said...

It was a lot of fun, Amy! I think a pie contest would be a wonderful idea, though I imagine you're getting tired of apples by now! :-)

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

Thanks Daddy! I will definitely make you a pie now that you're home! Love you too!

~Bianca