Thursday, March 22, 2012

"The Betrayal" Book Review


Several weeks ago, I was looking through my history book. At the end of each chapter, they have a section on “Further Reading.” They referenced several books by Douglas Bond. I had seen some of his books in a catalogue before, and they sounded like books I would really enjoy. I have found that the best way for me to remember events in history is by reading historical fiction books that are either about a real event, or a real person in history. I've read books by several good authors who write from a Christian perspective, and their books have really helped the history come alive!

We requested 5 of Douglas Bond’s books from the library, including “The Betrayal.” This book is set in the 1500’s during John Calvin’s life. I had never studied Calvin’s personal life, so I dug right in!

The book is actually written from the perspective of a fictional antagonist, Jean-Louis Mourin. It starts off when Calvin is a child in school. Jean-Louis has always been jealous of Calvin, his family, and the opportunities he was given as a scholar.

In a terrible fit of jealousy, Jean-Louis makes the following pledge, “God above, if you are there, you are most unkind to me. . . Therefore, will I not serve you, will I not worship you, will I not obey you. Henceforth, I give of myself to those powers that most work against you, against your will and ways, and against your servants.” Jean-Louis pledges his allegiance to the Catholic Church and begins working undercover to find evidence to discredit Calvin and ultimately have him martyred.

This is a very exciting book, and well written. But more importantly, it profiles one of the great Reformers, and clearly shows the providential hand of God throughout history. The words in Genesis 50: 20 are so true; “You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.” I would highly recommend this book!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Sounds captivating.

7 Eagles said...

It was captivating, Amy! It was a very exciting book.

~Bianca