Monday, March 26, 2012

Swimming with the Sharks

(Making Yourself Believe that “Pushing the Limit” is Okay)


Photo Credit: Shark-Pictures.

(Posted by Rubia)

“How far is too far?” the boy asked.

“What do you mean by that?” replied his teacher. “Do you ask me that so you know where you’re not supposed to go, or do you ask me that so that you know just how close you can get to it?”


One night several weeks ago, I had a dream. In my dream, I was swimming with sharks! They were not always very nice to me, but I tried my best to tame them, because I wanted to get near them. I knew in my dream that if I got too close, they might eat me. But still, I tried to get as close to them as possible.

Normally, when I have a dream, I wake up before something important or terrible happens. In this case, I woke up very startled. I don’t remember exactly what was about to happen, but I assume that I finally got too close…and they ate me.

When I explained this dream to my Mom, she had an idea that my dream was similar to how people sometimes try to “tame their sins,” or persuade themselves that they really aren’t so bad. It is like the boy who asked his teacher, “How far is too far?” The teacher had set a limit on how far he could go on the playground, to keep the child from danger. But the boy was really wondering, “How close can I get to the limit?”

We know that God wants us to stand firm, be wise, and take the advice of those who are older and know better. So God wouldn’t want us to “push the limit” and see how close we can get to trouble without actually sinning. I would say that pushing the limit is just as bad as deliberately entering danger.

Why do we act this way? The Bible teaches us that we are all sinners, and fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23) Satan made Eve believe that eating the forbidden fruit wouldn’t really be that bad—in fact, that it would be good to do. (Genesis 3).

But in all things, we should endeavor to glorify God. This means throwing off all our sins, and everything that easily entangles, and not letting ourselves think that sin doesn’t really hurt us.

A wonderful promise that God gave us is that He will never allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear. “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.” 1 Cor. 10:13) God doesn’t put us in situations that we won’t be able to handle.

Another thing that is important to remember is that God doesn’t cause evil, but He sometimes allows it to happen, to fulfill His own purposes. “When tempted, no one should say, ‘God is tempting me.’ For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed.” (James 1:13-14)

Here are a few more verses from the Bible that can help us, the next time we are tempted to “swim with the sharks!”

“...for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith”. (1 John 5:4)

“For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ.” (Titus 2:11-13)

“If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.” (Genesis 4:7)

“You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.” (Ephesians 4:22-24)

4 comments:

Amy said...

Pushing the limit reminds me of a sermon illustration.

A man was interviewing chauffeurs. He asked them how close they could drive to the edge of a cliff.

First one, then another spoke explaining how they could come within inches of the edge without going over.

The last one didn't brag about how close he could get to the edge. He explained that when he drove he stayed as far away from the edge as possible.

That was the chauffeur the man hired.

Unknown said...

God doesn’t cause evil, but He sometimes allows it to happen, to fulfill His own purposes. Can God cause us to be tested? Could I say that God is testing me?

-Lydia

7 Eagles said...

Amy...thanks for sharing that illustration with me! I think that the man who interviewed the chauffeurs was smart! Maybe if I ever have to hire someone to drive me places someday, I'll do the same thing. :-)

~ Rubia

7 Eagles said...

Lydia—thanks for asking your questions. Yes, God does test us. He doesn’t tempt us, but He does test us. I will give you some reasons why:

1) According to God’s word, the Lord is examining us, and allowing our hearts and minds to be tested, or tried. “On the contrary, we speak as men approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please men but God, who tests our hearts.” (1 Thess. 2:4) Also, “I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give to each man according to his ways, According to the results of his deeds.” (Jer. 17:10)

2) God will use tests and trials to prove that our faith was genuine. That is, He tests our faith. “In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.” (1 Peter 1:6-7)

3) God will use tests and trials to reward believers for obeying God’s word. “Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.” (James 1:12)

Here are some other verses you can look up. (I have only listed a few, but there are lots!:-): Deut. 13:3; Gen. 22:1-2; Judges 2:22; Rom. 5:3-4; Job 7:17-18; Jer. 20:12; Heb. 2:18.

~ Rubia