Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Vacation Day 10: Traveling Home

Here is the final blog post about our recent family vacation on a cruise. . .

(4/23/12) Monday

Last night I woke up around 1:15 a.m. because of the loud partying going on in the courtyard. I’m definitely looking forward to being at home! I also had a very stuffed-up nose, and this morning my skin is peeling pretty badly. The Caribbean sunshine is definitely different than that in Michigan!



Around 8:30 a.m., we met down in the boys’ room for breakfast. Daddy had stopped at a Publix the night before and gotten orange juice, bananas, and coffee cake. It was quite good!

After our breakfast we went back upstairs to pack up our things. This is the view from our room looking towards the beach.

Photo Credit: Roma.

At 10:00 a.m., we pulled out of the hotel parking lot. I was quite happy to be headed towards home! The area of town we were in made me feel a little uncomfortable at times. Anyway, we drove for about 45 minutes towards a very large mall in another part of Ft. Lauderdale.

Photo Credit: Roma.

We looked at the list of stores, and as soon as Josiah heard that there was a Lego® store there, he had to stop! J He could have stayed there all day if we had let him.

We also stopped at a Target where I bought a tether for my camera lens cap. Ben also bought a book while we were there.



The kids wanted to put a coin in the funnel out in the corridor. Those are a bit dizzying to watch!

Around 1:00 p.m., we ate lunch at the food court. Mom and I had Philly cheese-steak sandwiches and fries. It was quite good, and I could even taste it a little!

The rest of the kids got Nathan’s hot dogs.

We stopped in Books-A-Million for a few minutes before leaving (can you tell that if there is a book store somewhere, our family will find it?) We drove towards the airport and dropped off our rental car. We checked our bags and then headed towards security. This time none of us were called to go through the enhanced scanner, but the TSA agent was doing a bit of profiling. Three of us ladies wearing long skirts had to be patted down by her. The pat down wasn’t bad, but one of my first thoughts was, would they pat down a woman wearing a burqa?


While we were waiting for our plane to arrive, Daddy bought us all coconut patties! They were like big Mounds bars.

We were very thankful that our flight departed on time, although the takeoff and flight were quite turbulent.

We landed in Detroit on time and claimed our bags. We all breathed a sigh of relief when all 8 bags showed up safely (we’ve lost a couple bags before.) On the drive home, we stopped at a Wal-Mart to pick up a few groceries.



We also stopped at Arby’s for dinner. I had a Classic Chicken Sandwich with Curly Fries and root beer. Interesting fact: This is only the 3rd time in my life that I’ve eaten at Arby’s. It was quite good!

We finally made it home pretty late that evening. The cats really missed us! J We all fell into bed, tired from our day of travel but happy to be home!

~Epilogue~

This was an amazing and wonderful trip! I wouldn’t trade one minute or experience (well maybe the back injury.) I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it! What really made the trip special was the people. The crew became my friends, and I miss them a lot. Being on the ship—and especially the catamaran—felt like one big celebration with family and friends.

It’s a bit of an adjustment being back at home where there are not dozens of activities, where we have to make our own bed, cook our own food, etc. J I was kind of depressed for a few days. But I will always have such fond memories of this vacation! Memories of sitting on the balcony and gazing out at blue waters and mountainous islands; of dining like kings and queens in the dining room; of the camaraderie on the ship between all the passengers, and of spending loads of time with family. I hope we can go on another cruise in the future! I am so thankful that we had the opportunity to go on this trip!



8 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds bittersweet. While you were glad to be home, you obviously missed being on the ship!!

Although we almost never eat fast food, I have been to Arby's probably triple the amount of times as McDonalds. Both are quite unhealthy, so you may as well choose the one that tastes the best. Next time you go, be sure to try their shakes. : )

Speaking of food-- all of the posts have been full of scrumptious-looking food, some of which I will be desperately searching the web for recipes!

Vacation is the best time to eat all sorts of new, delicious, ( and unhealthy)foods! So sorry you had such an awful cold, though! I'm sure you are very thankful that God spared you from it for the majority of the time.

Judith Cook said...

I'm sad for the adventure to end as well! So glad everyone had a fun time, and that your home safely. Thanks for sharing a wonderful story with amazing picture!

7 Eagles said...

It was bittersweet, Lydia! But we're adjusting to being home now.

I will have to try the shakes at Arby's the next time we go (which could be several years from now!) :-) I haven't been to McDonalds in about 18 months now. It's quite nice!

If I find any of the recipes in my Grandma's cookbook she got on the ship, I will make sure to share them with you. I'd love to have the recipes myself!

I agree, vacation is a good time to branch out and try new types of foods. I am indeed thankful that I was spared from the cold most of the week.

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

Thanks for your comment, Judith! I'm glad to know that others enjoyed reading about our adventures. We certainly made a lot of wonderful memories on the trip!

~Bianca

Photographer for Jesus said...

This cruise seemed like so much fun! We've never been on a cruise before, but I would love to go on one! I definitely would come back a few pounds heavier, though...all that delicious food whenever you want.... :)

Thanks for posting about your trip...I've enjoyed reading every post!

Love in Christ,
Kimber :)

7 Eagles said...

The cruise was a lot of fun, Kimber! I know you would love it if you ever get the chance to go on one. All the delicious food is definitely tempting. :-)

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the posts! It was fun writing them and reminiscing about the trip!

~Bianca

Technoprairie said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. It almost makes me think about going on a cruise.

Yes, I agree that sometimes it is hard to get back to "real life" as we call it. But think of the memories! You'll always remember the colors of the ocean down there. It's just amazing (We went to Cancun before kids).

And the time you spent with your cousins and your grandparents is such a blessing!

7 Eagles said...

We did have a wonderful time, Technoprairie! We would definitely love to go on another cruise in the future if possible.

We do have lots of fond memories from our trip! I certainly hope I never forget those magnificent colors! It makes me think of heaven and all of the beautiful colors that we'll see there.

Time spent with family is definitely a blessing! I'm so thankful we had this special opportunity to spend time with them.

~Bianca