Saturday, May 5, 2012

Recipe--Curried Chickpeas


I was in heaven when my Mom made this recipe recently. Chickpeas, curry, cilantro, AND rice in the same recipe? How could I NOT love it!?!?



OK, I admit, the crazy-girl-with-her-face-in-the-cilantro-bag is . . . me. You could probably sprinkle cilantro on anything and I would eat it. I feel tremendous grief for those who don’t like cilantro.

Needless to say, I loved this recipe and the rest of the family really enjoyed it. We usually double this recipe. We girls ate ours without the chutney because we gave up sugar for Lent. I have yet to try it with the chutney, but I like it just fine the way it is! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Curried Chickpeas


1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 medium ripe tomatoes, diced (or 2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons curry powder (add more or less, to taste)
1 8-or-9 oz jar sweet and spicy mango chutney; or 1 fresh mango, chopped
2 cups cooked short-grain brown rice, or 1 ¼ cups cooked bulgur
Chopped cilantro, to taste

In a saucepan, combine chickpeas, tomatoes, and curry powder. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Cover until ready to use. Stir chutney or mango into cooked rice or bulgur.

Just before serving, add chopped cilantro to rice mixture. Mound rice or bulgur on each plate and top with chickpea mixture and more cilantro. Makes 3-4 servings. Enjoy!

No comments: