Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Blogger Challenge Day 10: Something You're Afraid Of


One of my goals for 2013 was to face my fears. In a lot of ways, I’ve already come a long way. J Living in wild Texas, I slay poisonous spiders on a regular basis without any squeamishness (I’d much rather hurt them before they hurt me!) As a family, we moved across the country and started from scratch at a new church, in a new community, and a new job for my Dad. My brother and I have committed to spend a month of our summer break in a third-world country where we will have no running water, not be able to speak with or understand 90% of the people, and will travel without our parents for the first time.

But one of my favorite quotes is True courage is not the absence of fear. It is refusing to allow fear to control your actions” (Gregg Harris as quoted in “Do Hard Things” by Alex and Brett Harris.)

While there isn’t a whole lot I’m afraid of, there are a few things that one could say I dread. I dread going to the dentist office. I don’t tremble in fear, but I cringe at the thought of getting my teeth poked and prodded.

I also have a slight fear of bloody wounds. Getting hurt internally (pulling a muscle, breaking a bone, getting sick, etc.) doesn’t bother me at all, but the thought of, or hearing someone describe, any injury involving blood makes me cringe. I guess I can cross surgeon off my future career list. J

*Alright, now that I’ve confessed, I want to hear from you! What is one of your fears? I promise not to laugh. J Really! Share in the comments!*

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Fear of the Dentist, those evil people with their high pitched drills and sticking their fingers in my mouth (gross). Spiders as well, especially since Papa Mark is not there to go kung fu master and totally destroy them in the middle of the night. :)

7 Eagles said...

While I didn't laugh AT your fears, Uncle Paul, I had to laugh at the way you worded them! :-) I can't believe we both have a thing with dentists! I have learned a thing from Papa Mark, the kung fu master. :-) I'm going to have to kill any invading Haitian spiders by myself this summer. Unless I can convince my kung fu master in training (Ben) to do it for me. :-)

~Bianca

Betsy said...

I'm afraid in the dark when I'm alone. Good thing I have a big family!
About guts, well that's kinda funny. Better not come to a nurses' break room!

Noelle said...

I have 2 major ones that my family laughs at me for....I HATE big body of waters. Anything that is not a pool. In my crazy head, there is something waiting for me at the bottom of a lake, pond or ocean waiting to take me under!!!! When camping, I do go in the water and play, trying not to let my boys know I am actually scared to death!
Next is heights. There is nothing you can do to get me to bungee jump, walk on a bridge or climb a mountain. I have to close my eyes when we travel and go over a bridge. I shake in fear. At least water, I can deal with it, but when it comes to heights, count me out. Paul has to take the lead on that one. 2 summers ago, we did go to Cedar Point and I did go on a couple of roller coasters ONLY because Gaven begged me too. I screamed loud enough for anyone in the park to hear me :)
Good thing I married a man, who loves both of the things I don't like at all!!

Leah said...

My number one fear is the dark! I cannot wait for the day I'm in heaven where there will be no more darkness. :) I know God is with me and I have the emergency lights but the feeling never went away.

Number two is the cats. I have gotten some better being around cats just as long as I'm around with other people. If not, I froze at the sight of them and pray to God that they won't come near me.

Number three is the spiders. I hate spiders and either I or who ever is around to kill as soon as possible and flush it down the toilet. I never threw it out in the garbage and refused to let my dad do that either.

7 Eagles said...

I suppose it is good that you have a big family to keep you company at night, Betsy! Yes, I'm sure a nurses' break room is definitely NOT a place to go if I don't want to hear about blood and guts! :-)

~Biancca

7 Eagles said...

I used to be afraid of something getting me in the water too, Aunt Noelle. That mostly happened after I read Bethany Hamilton's story. I was finally able to convince myself to enjoy the Great Lakes because there was no way a shark could get me. :-)

I don't like heights if there are no barriers in place. I can do airplanes, and even being up high as long as there are no edges near me. Tall bridges used to bother me, but as long as I stay in the middle, I'm fine. :-)

~Bianca

7 Eagles said...

I don't like the dark when I'm outside, Leah. I'm afraid of wild animals prowling around when I can't see them. I'm sure it's obvious from the many pictures of my cat on the blog, that I'm not afraid of cats. But strange dogs still make my heart beat a little faster.

I prefer to flush bugs too. :-) It gives me more assurance.

~Bianca