Saturday, March 9, 2013

My Grandpa



~Posted by Roma (tribute written to share at the funeral)

I have so many wonderful memories with Grandpa, I could never write them all down. I have one favorite memory though, that I would like to share. One day, during the summer I think, I was brushing my teeth with Grandpa in the bathroom. With my back turned, he put toothpaste on my brush for me. As I looked, he said: “Try it! It’s the best toothpaste ever.” After that, I spit it right out with a sick feeling, as Grandpa just stood there laughing. Sure, shaving cream is the best thing I ever tasted!

My Grandpa always had a great sense of humor. He was a true southerner. J This is one thing I loved about Grandpa—he was always cheerful. Despite any health issues, HE NEVER COMPLAINED. He lived out 2 Corinthians 4:18: “So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” My Grandpa knew that the pain or suffering he went through on this earth wouldn’t last forever. He knew one day he would be with the Lord on Glory’s side, and he knew that day would be soon.

The last few months of his life, I had noticed a change. He acted as though he was treasuring every single last moment with each of us, and I treasured my time with him too! I noticed how much he would read his Bible, each day, in the book of John and other books. He set a wonderful example to all of us, in everything he did. These are the kind of things I want to remember about my Grandpa.

1 Corinthians 15:55-57:

“Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting? The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”

No comments: